Rochester GPS Exhibit Coins - deleted log

wickedann

I, along with a pack of other folks, discovered coins that were in the GPS Adventures exhibit in Rochester, NY. My (along with everyone else's) log for the discovery of a Moun10Bike coin #331 was deleted. I've sent a message to both Moun10Bike (the original owner) and SquareT (the subsequent owner) for a reason...

Anyone else have any experience with this ?

Or ideas why someone would do that?

Here's the email I got:

Your log entry for the listing Moun10Bike Geocoin #331 (Moun10bike Coin) was deleted by Moun10Bike at 3/28/2009 5:09:57 PM

Visit this listing at the below address:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?L...1e-824231898a3b

Moun10Bike profile:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=47...c1-b379a6221a8f

Thanks

-wickedann-

Apparently it's not his coin:

Anyway, Moun10Bike Geocoin #331 is *not* in the GPS Adventure Maze. There is a coin with the number 331 on it, but it is not mine. I wasn't positive until I visited the maze exhibit myself yesterday during its opening in Seattle and confirmed.

There are many coins and other items with numbering, but that does not mean that everything with a given number is the item tracked with that number on Geocaching.com. My older coins are among the very first traveling items on Geocaching.com and used sequential numbers which are the source of this issue; you will note that nowadays everything tracked on the site - including my newer coins - use random alphanumeric codes for tracking instead in order to prevent confusion.

I hope this explains things.

Jon (Moun10Bike)

I will leave this up in case the other folks who got deleted logs wonder why.....

I've locked the coin in question to prevent future issues and have posted a log on it explaining things. I debated over locking my other v1 and v2 coins as well (I literally get dozens of errant logs every month), but that would take a fair amount of work and would hinder the logging of those coins that really are being seen and discovered. I'll instead only lock when issues arise as they did with this coin.

I guess my request is that people confirm that the coin they see on the geocoin page match what they saw in person. Unfortunately, nowadays people just seem to write down numbers and pay no attention to the coins themselves. As I mentioned in my note on the page for coin #331 and in my email to wickedann, there are a lot of items that are sequentially numbered in the geocaching world, but the only items tracked with those numbers are my v1 and v2 geocoins. Groundspeak and I realized the problems this would cause once trackables and the geocoin craze really started taking off, and as a result my later edition coins use alphanumeric codes for tracking. However, these older items are still around and alive in the tracking system.

There was a non-trackable coin with 331 on it at the Rochester maze, but it wasn't a Moun10Bike coin.

Shauna from Groundspeak was at the Maze event in Rochester and showed the appropriate coin around and said she was going to place it in the exhibit. The number was not 331. :unsure:

Edited by Novac

Yeah, ran into that problem. I didn't make notes of what number was on what coin. Just scribbled the numbers on a scrap of paper. When I started logging the numbers I had jotted down it never occurred to me that I was logging the wrong coin. No big deal, it's just a coin. I'd like to know what the coin with that number was though, but just out of curiosity.

Yeah, ran into that problem. I didn't make notes of what number was on what coin. Just scribbled the numbers on a scrap of paper. When I started logging the numbers I had jotted down it never occurred to me that I was logging the wrong coin. No big deal, it's just a coin. I'd like to know what the coin with that number was though, but just out of curiosity.

I think I can shed light one which coin you saw. I took pictures of the various items and saw a lot that were listed as unactived. The coin in question, which does have the number 331 at the bottom, is this coin:

Prntr1 Personal Geocoin

The tracking number is actually at the top of the coin, as seen in the partially erased tracking number on the coin at the above link. Hope that helps.