Nice (safe) caches in Florida

NennyandNunu

Hi,

my husband, me and our 1 year old son are coming to Florida in the summer for a 3 week vacation. We are spending about 8 days in Orlando and then we plan to travel around a bit. We thought that we'd plan it a bit around Geocaching.

We know we want to go to Silver Springs. Thinking about going to the park there and then spending a day or so at the Forest park.

I really want to go to Sanibel - love the idea of shelling there.

We want to go to the Keys - probably just Key Lago and the first couple of Islands - not sure we are bothered about going all the way down to Key West.

Want to spend some time at the Everglades as well.

I've found some nice sounding caches in these areas but have no idea whether they will be suitable in the middle of August (don;t want to get munched on by mozzies too much) and suitable for a push chair. They also have to be in 'safe' areas i.e. not likely to get mugged by humans or 'gators!

Does anyone have an suggestions either of Caches at these places or caches in nice places to visit that are nearish to any of these places?

Florida in August. Whew.

It will be quite warm, and the mozzies (skeeters) will be plentiful.

Use Deet.

As you go from Silver Springs to the Everglades, spen some time at fort Desoto park. Neat place with lots of good caches.

I mostly spend time east of Orlando, so that's about all the advice I can offer for your route.

Enjoy your visit over here!

PP

Stick to P&G's, unless you can tolerate this disgusting heat. It will drain you so quick, you won't know what hit you. Keep hydrated, especially the wee one. A sunhat and sunscreen a must for him!

Sanibel is gorgeous and safe. No cars, bikes only, so you will have lots of fun there. If you're doing the Disney thing, there are some virtual caches in the parks that are fun. We drove around Orlando doing some, but it seems once you get away from the Disney area, you can end up in some not so nice areas.

I'll 2nd Fort Desoto. It's a beautiful area of beach, places to picnic, fish, serene.

There are a few caches out there as well.

Have a super trip! I'm in reverse to most ppl, we have our house for sale and can't wait to get back up north! Can't take this heat! :laughing:

Happy Caching!

While you're out in our pleasant summer environment:

• Drink lots of water
  • Use sunscreen
  • Drink lots of water
  • Use insect repellant (DEET or Picaridin)
  • Drink lots of water
  • Use a "pokey stick" instead of your hand when you have to reach into somewhere you can't see
  • And did I mention, drink lots of water

Having a first aid kit handy is a good idea, too. I've had more than my share of "palmetto stripes" over the years.

You can also look for good suggestions at these web sites:

Space Coast Geocachers Association

South Florida Geocachers

NEFGA

Florida Geocaching Association

And be sure to drink some water!

Edited by Road Rabbit

Not sure if its anywhere near where you want to go, but we just stayed a week in St. Pete Beach... The weather, the beach, food and people were all great!!!!

We plan on going back there (same place) again for another week either later this year or same time next year...

We stayed @ a place called http://www.sirata.com/

Zip code is 33706

There were atleast 5 finds within a half mile and a ton more a bit further...

If you use the Geocaching map tool, you can put in the zipcode and see how many are in your potential area you may visit...

we just got back from the melbourne beach area..One thing i noticed is don't go after beach/ocean front caches..The reason being is every one i went after i was met with homeless people and that was at different times of the day..If your up by port canaveral there is a cam cache at sunset pier and a nice tb hotel close to the cruise ships..I highly reccommend you go to merritt island and visit A COOL CACHE.You will not be dissappointed.There is also a awesome geocache store close to that particular cache..If you go there tell dale n barb chief_illini said hi..

Edited by chief_illini217

If you come down into the Keys but don't go down to Key West you will be missing the most beautiful part of Florida. The caches are great and very educational. Just North of there is Bahia Honda State Park, there are two wonderful caches along the beach there and then just a little north of this beach is Veteran's Beach. One great TB Hotel there and the most awesome beach you will see in your lifetime.