Uploading Logs from Oregon 300

I have spent a lot of time looking over the GC site looking for tips on using the Oregon, so I do not think I am repeating any questions here, if I do please forgive me.

We made our first couple finds yesterday with our Oregon 300. When I got home I connected it to the computer and opened the file that contains the field logs. I have a couple questions before I attempt to upload these to GC.com;

1. When looking at I see it the list the caches that I opened but did not attempt to find. Is it going to list these as DNFs, or completely ignore them?

2. Can I edit this file to add more detailed notes? If so, is this done just by opening the file with notepad, making changes, and then saving it back to the Oregon?

3. Under Setup - Geocache – found Geocaches, you can enter text or a number. What does the Oregon use this for? At this point I just entered my found count on GC.com. Will it count up as I find more?

4. I noticed that when some people log a visit, they always have set text and the start of the log, such as their find count or the date and time. Can I set my Oregon up to do this?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

#1 & 2) - The Field notes with the Oregon are easy to use and they don't automatically log your finds/dnfs. First thing you do is access the "Field Notes" option from your profile page. Then select the Oregon, point the browser to the txt file on the oregon and upload. This will only upload to your Field Notes Manager. From there, you can choose to log any of the caches in that list. When you select "Post Log" you will have the opportunity to change/edit your field note before it submits the log. Basically, it takes you to the "Log your visit" page and enters the type of log, the date and pre-fills the log with any field note you create. It's up to you to press the "Submit button.

#3) - This is where you set your starting found count that appears on the geocaching dashboard. It gets incremented each time you log a cache as found using the Oregon.

#4) - No way that I know of.

JetSkier

Already uploaded my 2 logs from yesterday, and it went pretty much just as you said. It was so easy!!! That was my main reason for upgrading. I am loving this new GPSr. Now to take it today and give it a try with some harder finds, to see how well it works in the woods, without a clear view of the sky.

Tanks again.

I have just got the 300 and done my first cache but not sure how to upload to my stats on geocaching.com, even after reading above , can you try and explain to me please ,

Visit this page: http://www.geocaching.com/my/fieldnotes.aspx

with your Oregon hooked up - navigate to the [drive]:\garmin folder and look for the fieldnotes text file - upload it.

Return to field notes page and log away!!