To Hide or Not To hide

Team T 5

We are going to take a trip this summer cameoing about 3 hours a way from where we live. we want to hide a couple of caches for others to enjoys. the only problem I think we might have is that the reviewers of geocashing.com will say we live to far away to place them, do you think this will happen? I would hate for that to happen after we spent the time to make the caches and hide them. We get around the area about once a year and if need be we could make a trip to fix our caches.

It depends. Does your history of Geocaching show regular visits to the area?? Regular trips beyond 25 miles (or so more or less) from home? If so then you MAY be able to convince them it is going to be ok.

However, it is more likely that will be viewed as a vacation cache (which it would be) and be denied. So unless you have a named local to watch over them. Skip it.

...We get around the area about once a year and if need be we could make a trip to fix our caches.

Works for me. Remote caches seldom need maintenance and if they do, once a year is plenty. That you could make a special trip if needed is icing on the cake. It's when you will never go back, and it's not reasonable to plan a trip every now and then that you are beyond all reason in placing a cache.

...We get around the area about once a year and if need be we could make a trip to fix our caches.

Works for me. Remote caches seldom need maintenance and if they do, once a year is plenty. That you could make a special trip if needed is icing on the cake. It's when you will never go back, and it's not reasonable to plan a trip every now and then that you are beyond all reason in placing a cache.

It might work for you but I doubt once a year will work for the reviewer. I guess the only way to find out for sure, is for the OP to ask ahead of time. Find out who the reviewer for the area is and explain where you want to hide the caches, where you live and how quickly you'll be able to attend to issues.

Another idea would be a hide a backup 50-100 feet away and then switch the coords to that one if the first one went missing. That would buy you even more time.

And how many people that couldn't find the first, even though it is there, on an expanded search would find and sign the second? Or happen to spot the second before they really look for the first? and then post the "correct" co-ordinates in their log? Man, seems to me it would be a mess.

Jim

Another idea would be a hide a backup 50-100 feet away and then switch the coords to that one if the first one went missing. That would buy you even more time.

And how many people that couldn't find the first, even though it is there, on an expanded search would find and sign the second? Or happen to spot the second before they really look for the first? and then post the "correct" co-ordinates in their log? Man, seems to me it would be a mess.

Jim

Good point. So make it 200 feet.