Feature Request - Pocket queries by map

Picosaan

Hello,

when creating pocket queries, I would like to open a google map with the geocaching icons. Then I would like to mark a rectangular area with the mouse. All caches from that area should be part of the pocket query, as long as they are not filtered by the other options.

Andreas

I would absolutely LOVE something like this myself. With the current "radius" method, you either end up with lots of overlap between PQ zones, or voids in between them where caches slip through the cracks.

It wouldn't even have to be as elaborate as clicking and dragging. If I could simply enter the coordinates of the four corners of the rectangle, that would be great.

It would then be VERY easy to create a grid of PQ zones to canvas a wide area, and not have to worry about redundancy or missing patches.

Well, you can do that, but not in that way. You zoom to the desired area and then choose the option "Create Pocket Query". You'll get the radius close enough to the map you're seeing.

I tried this but it is not really working. I opened a map and zoomed in until I saw 19 caches. The I created a pocket query and received a query with over 300 caches

When you created the PQ, did you tell it to limit it to 20 caches, or leave the default at 500?

I would assume that the button on the Map page just 'copies' the coordinates of the center of the map and puts them into the PQ generator, but all the other options, including the number of caches sent, is up to you.

The way to I do it is to set the "From Origin" section by "by co-ordinates" and set the co-ordinates to be the centre point of the caches that I want to download. The I set the "within radius" to the distance that covers the caches I want.

I will sometimes ue google earth using the Geocaching KML to help with this by using the placemark to give me the co-ordinates, then use the ruler to help guage the radius.

This may help you in the interim.