You are going to Canada and Alaska - Which GPS Handheld?

genny1

Hello all -- Our family is going to Vancouver, Canada, for several days, then getting on a cruise ship and steaming north to Alaska. Time will be spent in Alaskan ports of call, and a more extended stay for a couple days in the Seward area.

We own no GPS, but we're considering getting one this spring to become acquainted with and then use in and around Vancouver, on the cruise (to follow progress and perhaps use with old fashioned paper map to keep up with our location), and in Alaska.

Assume no geocaching experience, but with notion we'd very much like to learn (so, "beginning" geocaching basic functions enough for these newbies). Assume we'd like to use it for driving directions in our home state of Minnesota, but will accept "handheld not designed primarily for driving" limitations (which we understand to be things like "beeps" instead of text-to-speech, smaller screen, etc.). Finally, and perhaps primarily, assume that for functionality (namely preloaded, free, or available via purchase maps) )we'd like the GPS handheld to be a strong choice for Canada (specifically Vancouver area), charting progress on the cruise, and for use in Alaska. For example, based on these forums, we believe we've learned DeLorme does not have maps for Canada?

If you had up to $400, but didn't want to spend more than necessary, and you are tucking a GPS device into our luggage, what unit would it be?

Thanks for any help, and for all the help everyone has unknowingly given us through other posts, and for inspiring us to want to get involved in geocaching!

There is no need to purchase any maps.

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

These provide topo and street data for all of Canada.

Need clarification. I can't find any street data in my Ibycus Canada 2.1 topo maps. Specifically, if I try to do a search I can't "Find" any streets or even towns/cities. As far as MapSource, Mobile PC, Mobile XT, my iQue 3600 and my eTrex Legend HCx are concerned there is no street data.

That's not a criticism of the maps. It just needs to be clarified in case someone might think they are a subsitute for something like Topo Canada which has some street data and lots of placename data, or City Navigator or Metroguide Canada which, of course, have loads of street data as well as address data.

...ken...

Hello again all -- Thank you for the help! Relying on the above and the other threads in these forums, I punched in the recommended models on craigslist, found that someone was offering a 60Csx, checked it out, and ended up buying it! Pretty excited, and already started to follow above suggestions by loading in Ibycus MN topo map. Going to load in Ibycus US road maps tonight. Then I'll focus on BC and Alaska.

So, seem to be on our way. Thanks again for the help!! :)