Bear Mountain Monday Hike

polskikrol

Planning on parking at the Anthony Wayne Parking Area (N 41 17.874 W 074 01.632) and starting the hike at 8AM. Closest cache that can be referenced for parking is GC9CE8 - Ye old Bike Trail.

The following caches are planned for the day (time permitting of course) in the order they would be attempted:

GCJKZV - Help on the Way > Slipknot > Franklins Tower

GC9CE8 - Ye old Bike Trail

GCKHE7 - Anthony Wayne Bike Trail....Cloned

GCJKPM - Beechy Bottom Road

GCPVX1 - Cat's Elbow

GCPVXB - Red Dot Ridge

GCNGWT - Kamikaze Ledge

GCPVX6 - The Timp

GC1MWGK - Dunderberg Spiral Railway: Tunnel

GCY0WG - The Dunderberg Railway

GCY0WQ - In Memory of BigBill6

GC1MWFG - Dunderberg Spiral Railway: May 11, 1967

GC1MWFZ - Dunderberg Spiral Railway: Top of the Loop

GC1MWGB - Dunderber Spiral Railway: Stalter's Spring

GCHCFZ - The Pavement Ends

GC6DC0 - Corporal Nobbs @ Harriman Park

GCHD8D - June 2

GCC855 - District No.7

Time permitting the following would be optional (in order of importance):

GC2D07 - Herbert Mine cache

GCH4H4 - Bike Trail number 2

GCPHHG - S.W.A.P.S and Signature Items

GCQA7V - The Pines

There are many trails providing for shorter loops if daylight is lacking.

PK

That looks like a do-able hike with some decent elvation gains and losses, but that's Harriman-Bear Mountain Park. You climb up and down the same 400 feet all day long. Its been a while since I've dome some of these caches but I'd suggest dropping the first one, GCJKZV. If I remember correctly the multi takes you quite a ways up West Mountain. The next one on your schedule is back at the parking lot elevation.

Sorry I won't be able to make it but if you decide to try for the extra caches, I'll be driving past the Route 9W entrance to Doodletown around 6:15 PM on Monday night and will be glad to shuttle cachers back to the Anthony Wayne lot.

That looks like a do-able hike with some decent elvation gains and losses, but that's Harriman-Bear Mountain Park. You climb up and down the same 400 feet all day long. Its been a while since I've dome some of these caches but I'd suggest dropping the first one, GCJKZV. If I remember correctly the multi takes you quite a ways up West Mountain. The next one on your schedule is back at the parking lot elevation.

Sorry I won't be able to make it but if you decide to try for the extra caches, I'll be driving past the Route 9W entrance to Doodletown around 6:15 PM on Monday night and will be glad to shuttle cachers back to the Anthony Wayne lot.

Definitely lots of ups and downs today... started at 8:30AM and ended at 7:30PM while picking up 20 caches including the Multi. Did Stage 1 first thing and Stage 2 on the way back on my counter clockwise loop. Well the Final was too close to pass up even with fleeting light. Will post details and track log when I have a chance. Currently recovering..

Perhaps its a good thing no one joined me on this one... looking at the tracklog information can hardly believe it was over 20 miles!

Tracklog Summary

Length: 20.6mi

Area: 3.1 sq mi

Elapsed Time: 11:16:37

Avg. Speed 2 mph

Tracklog

74769814-2a6e-4ed1-85b0-be0895837f4a.jpg

Vertical Profile

6ec270f9-575e-4f1a-bf9f-75ad50acc24b.jpg

Trail notes will come after I have completed logging all of these. Definitely had lots of fun and would recommend this hike to anyone in shape to complete it!