Statistics - bend it anyway you like!

Carbon Hunter

FP is a relatively recent development so many older caches would not have benefited as most cachers have not retrospectively gone and favourited their old finds.

I reworked the graph to eliminate all caches published before January 2011:

RSA%20FPs%20vs.%20Cache%20age%20since%20Jan%2011.jpg

There is now even less correlation; it is safe to say that the number of FPs on a specific cache is unrelated to its age.

There is now even less correlation; it is safe to say that the number of FPs on a specific cache is unrelated to its age.

Wouldn't have expected there to be, but nice to see the confirmation Danie. FP's a bit of a dud IMHO, but that's a different topic.

Find rate vs. Cache age:

As requested, the graph for Find rate vs. Cache age:

RSA%20Find%20rate%20vs%20cache%20age%20all.jpg

Here there is very little correlation, except at the beginning.

Zooming into the first 3 months:

RSA%20Find%20rate%20vs%20cache%20age%203%20months.jpg

Definitely some correlation between the find rate and the cache age during the first few weeks. This can probably be attributed to eager locals who want to quickly find all nearby caches.

Without the first 3 months:

RSA%20Find%20rate%20vs%20cache%20age%20rest.jpg

Almost no correlation. My conclusion is that there is almost no relationship between find rate and cache age after the initial flurry.

Assume you are excluding events

Yes, this was for South African caches, with all event types and lab caches excluded.

How does this compare for caches placed in the last year?

I am not sure what you mean and what you expect to see, but here is the graph for non-event South African caches published during the last year:

RSA%20Find%20rate%20vs%20cache%20age%20last%20year.jpg

I am not sure what you mean and what you expect to see, but here is the graph for non-event South African caches published during the last year:

A while ago I was watching recently published caches. After the FTF it seemed to be a long time before the next cacher would find the cache. I have a few theories behind this, so was trying to see whether my casual observation would come up statistically.

A while ago I was watching recently published caches. After the FTF it seemed to be a long time before the next cacher would find the cache. I have a few theories behind this, so was trying to see whether my casual observation would come up statistically.

Then you need statistics on the timing of the first view logs - I'll have to think about a way to do this.

Favourite Point distribution:

What % of active caches have at least 1 FP, or possibly various ranges/distribution of # of FP's?

The following graphs exclude all event and lab types of caches.

RSA%20FP%20distribution%20percentage.jpg

Since the percentage of caches with 0 FP is 54.7%, it means that 45.3% of all active South African caches have at least 1 FP.

On a logarithmic scale:

RSA%20FP%20distribution%20logarithmic.jpg

(The vertical scale is the number of caches.)

Number of EarthCaches in South Africa, relative to the world:

Seeing that SA has a very rich geological "history" how do we compare to the rest of the world ito of Active Earthcaches as a % of Total Active caches in SA?

There are currently 372 active EarthCaches in South Africa, vs. 26346 in the world. This means 1 out of every 71 ECs is in South Africa.

For all active caches, the number for South Africa is 14257 vs. 3021117 for the world. This means 1 out of every 212 active caches is in South Africa.

Relative to all caches, ECs are overrepresented by a factor of 3.

It is great to see that this beautiful country of South Africa is so well represented with earth caches. These earth caches take you to interesting and amazing sites and you learn a little more about this part of the planet

Number of EarthCaches in South Africa, relative to the world:

Seeing that SA has a very rich geological "history" how do we compare to the rest of the world ito of Active Earthcaches as a % of Total Active caches in SA?

There are currently 372 active EarthCaches in South Africa, vs. 26346 in the world. This means 1 out of every 71 ECs is in South Africa.

For all active caches, the number for South Africa is 14257 vs. 3021117 for the world. This means 1 out of every 212 active caches is in South Africa.

Relative to all caches, ECs are overrepresented by a factor of 3.

Cool, tx Danie

So i.t.o. of global figures, we have a 300% overrepresentation, is there any other country that is higher or similar? (If you have the data)

So i.t.o. of global figures, we have a 300% overrepresentation, is there any other country that is higher or similar? (If you have the data)

1 out of 80 active caches in Australia is an EarthCache, for an overrepresentation of 144%

For New Zealand it is 1 out of 98, with a factor of 117%

I do not however have the data for all countries.

Edited by Danie Viljoen

I found a country with a (slightly) bigger overrepresentation of ECs:

The U.A.E. has 26 ECs out of 966 caches, which gives it 1 EC out of 37 caches, and a representation factor of 309%

Perhaps the Carbon Hunter influence ;)

I did a few random ones

Lesotho 1764%

Swaziland 564%

Portugal 189%

Spain 119%

France 100%

UK 98%

USA 83%

Switzerland 61%

Norway 41%

I expected Portugal to be higher than average, and the others were fairly expected. A bit surprised by how low Norway is though.

Lesotho, well, possibly a winner, but I think it's an anomaly, Swaziland too.

I suspect a few African countries will have similarly high overrepresentations

I suspect a few African countries will have similarly high overrepresentations

Western Sahara 5734%

Yemen 5734%

All these countries would be similarly underrepresented by caches in general, so very skewed.

Edited by GlobalRat