pn-40 device not recognized

Hello,

just bought a new pn-40 and i am having troubles with it! Device is not being recognized in xp. anyone else have this trouble?

i looked for a driver on delorme but i didn't see one.

anyone that can point me in the right direction that would be very appreciated!

If you're still having problems my suggestion is to post the issue over at the Delorme PN-40 forums and provide as much detail on exactly what you've tried up to this point and the steps you took. There are a couple of possible remedies and there are many experienced owners over there ready to offer suggestions. Anything I offer now would just be a shot in the dark without more info.

If you're still having problems my suggestion is to post the issue over at the Delorme PN-40 forums and provide as much detail on exactly what you've tried up to this point and the steps you took. There are a couple of possible remedies and there are many experienced owners over there ready to offer suggestions. Anything I offer now would just be a shot in the dark without more info.

Yes, check here:

http://forums.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=16177

Also, scroll down to a psot of mine near the bottom of that thread, maybe here:

http://forums.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?p=95304#95304

No unique drivers required.

i am just trying to get the device recognized by my PC. connecting via usb it wont recognize it and the unit flashes continuously

The reason I asked the questions I did is because there are multiple ways for the device to be recognized, depending upon what you're attempting to do.

Was the PN-40 plugged in when you turned it on, or did you turn it on and then plug it in?

OK, some more detail would be helpful but I'll give it a shot.

When you power up the 40 while plugged into the usb port you should see the welcome screen then the "Connect to Computer" screen. That screen offers 2 choices; Data Exchange or Map Transfer. If you're seeing that screen and select Data Exchange you will only see the PN-40 recognized by the computer within TOPO USA when the Data Exchange window is selected. If you select Map Transfer from the connect screen then you should see the 40 show up in windows as another drive.

Are you seeing the Connect to Computer screen?

i tried both ways.

off then plug in then power on.

on then plug in. both worked the same.

may be a bad cable i am thinking . Tried my desktop and my laptop same problems

On the desktop, did you plug into a USB port on the front of the case, or the back (preferred)?

on the back.

two laptops and my desktop now same deal. i cant upgrade the firmware from 2.2 either without it being connected to pc correct?

i tried both ways.

On the desktop, did you plug into a USB port on the front of the case, or the back (preferred)?

on the back.

two laptops and my desktop now same deal. i cant upgrade the firmware from 2.2 either without it being connected to pc correct?

No, if you have a standalone SD card reader, you can put the firmware on the card, put the card in the unit, and next time you power it up it'll upgrade. Instructions are included with the firmware update.

If you're updating, go all the way to 2.5b3.

i tried both ways.

on the back.

No, if you have a standalone SD card reader, you can put the firmware on the card, put the card in the unit, and next time you power it up it'll upgrade. Instructions are included with the firmware update.

cool. i put the exe on the card but it didnt upgrade when i reset it... l got the 2.5 3.

thanks

Edited by bhorocks

cool. i put the exe on the card but it didnt upgrade when i reset it... all i saw on the forum was 2.5 i;ll look closer

thanks

I'm re-reading the forum post where the upgrade was posted, and the HOWTO included in the download, and now I'm not seeing where you can put it on the SD card. I thought for sure that I'd seen you could do that though.

cool. i put the exe on the card but it didnt upgrade when i reset it... all i saw on the forum was 2.5 i;ll look closer

thanks

I'm re-reading the forum post where the upgrade was posted, and the HOWTO included in the download, and now I'm not seeing where you can put it on the SD card. I thought for sure that I'd seen you could do that though.

yeah i got it on the card now.. now dang thing wont power up... batteries are good. the power is flaky ... I hope the firmware fixes these problems or i have to take it back!

seems to be working alright today. bought some lithium batteries and for some strange reason it is working well... but iwas so frustrated i went to rei and bought a 60csx as well to compare alongside each other. one of them will be going back... we will see... I had a 60csx before so i know it is nice

Edited by bhorocks

seems to be working alright today. bought some lithium batteries and for some strange reason it is working well... but iwas so frustrated i went to rei and bought a 60csx as well to compare alongside each other. one of them will be going back... we will see... I had a 60csx before so i know it is nice

Before you return the PN-40, check out the new (today) DeLomre Online Map Center to download some of the imagery on your included trial subscription:

https://data.delorme.com/secure/Login.aspx