Any success with Geocaching with a Blackberry Storm?

RVZfans

Does anyone have any first hand experience with using the Storm (on Verizon) with the Cacheberry application?

I don't have a Storm; I have a Pearl, but it works great.

CacheBerry is not a GPS program if that's what your asking. Also, Verizon hasn't unlocked their phones' GPS for use with anything other than their software and BlackBerry Maps.

CacheBerry works Great for paperless caching though.

I have a Pearl. Tried the cacheberry app and didn't find it that useful. Then I tried the Trimble Geocache Navigator. It costs a monthly fee, but was a lot more friendly than cacheberry. I did find a few caches with it though and it got me started. Unfortunately, I just wound up getting fed up with the erratic bumblebee dance on the BB and bought a Garmin Oregon.

I'm using the private beta of CacheBerry on my Storm, and I love it. I still primarily use my Colorado for my Geocaching needs, but when I FTF opportunity comes up while I'm out, or while I'm at work, or when I'm someplace that I didn't intend to go caching, the compass view on CacheBerry is fantastic. I've mainly gone after urban caches with it, nothing under heavy cover, but so far it's been pretty much spot on.

Even when I'm not using it to actually find the caches, I prefer using it for cache descriptions over the built in abilities of the Colorado. The screen is just so much bigger, there's a "real" keyboard for entering field notes, and if I need to get a better view of the area around the cache (as well as in relation to where I am) I can pull it up in Google maps from CacheBerry and see a satellite view of the cache location.

When I get home I just email out my cache notes, and I get both a geocache_visits.txt file that I can upload to gc.com, but also a text list in my email of my field notes and links to the caches that I found.

All in all, CacheBerry on the Storm works like a champ!!

Edited by Genoist

Another beta tester of the CacheBerry Application here. I'm using a Storm and the compass part is great .When checking one of my caches 2 days ago when at the cache site it was reading 1 meter to go and 1 meter accuracy. I have over 2500 caches (all caches on the Island of Ireland ) loaded with descriptions ,hints and logs. when I find the cache I can write the field notes there and then then email to my desktop for uploading to GS.com when I get home.

I honestly beleive this application will be better than the i-phone application when it's finished.The developer is working hard on it and has big plans for the future.

Whats the private beta version. I have the trial version on my storm but it doesn't have compas view or at least I haven't found it yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm using the private beta of CacheBerry on my Storm, and I love it. I still primarily use my Colorado for my Geocaching needs, but when I FTF opportunity comes up while I'm out, or while I'm at work, or when I'm someplace that I didn't intend to go caching, the compass view on CacheBerry is fantastic. I've mainly gone after urban caches with it, nothing under heavy cover, but so far it's been pretty much spot on.

Even when I'm not using it to actually find the caches, I prefer using it for cache descriptions over the built in abilities of the Colorado. The screen is just so much bigger, there's a "real" keyboard for entering field notes, and if I need to get a better view of the area around the cache (as well as in relation to where I am) I can pull it up in Google maps from CacheBerry and see a satellite view of the cache location.

When I get home I just email out my cache notes, and I get both a geocache_visits.txt file that I can upload to gc.com, but also a text list in my email of my field notes and links to the caches that I found.

All in all, CacheBerry on the Storm works like a champ!!