Help w/ using Oregon 400t

I just bought the Oregon 400t a couple weeks ago. I took it out of the box and followed the directions for start up. I have since updated the versions to 2.9 from the garmin site.

The problem I have is when trying to find a cache. So far I have tried to use the map screen, the compass screen and the trip computer to find a cache. I have calibrated and recalibrated the compass (even in the middle of a hunt). But what I get is the arrow in each screen constantly pointing me in different and sometimes opposite directions from where the cache was finally found (using my vast experience at finding caches). I have tested it in the hills and in urban areas and I still get the same results no matter what version of update I load. I have even stood still for long periods of time hoping the gps would catch up to my movement.

Does somebody have an out of the box tutorial that gives me directions to set up the gps? Or can somebody tell me the right way to use it? Maybe I missed something when loading it up or starting it.

We upgraded from a garmin nuvi 350 and thought we would enjoy the Oregon. But no joy yet. Not to start a pn-40 Oregon discussion But I even tried the delorme pn-40 which I found to be very accurate but difficult for my wife to use. I am thinking of going back to it.

Thanks

Whimppey

The distance was random. Sometimes it turned out that I was right on the cache but normally I was within 10 -15 feet.

But I have turned off the compass and I am using the map screen with directional arrow and distance at the top. I tried this yesterday and it seems to work.

The distance was random. Sometimes it turned out that I was right on the cache but normally I was within 10 -15 feet.

But I have turned off the compass and I am using the map screen with directional arrow and distance at the top. I tried this yesterday and it seems to work.

I noticed you are new to this great hobby. Welcome. If you are within 10-15 feet the compass will almost always go wacko. Since the error radius is probably 10+ feet at least that means each time it computes your location it can move you that much (or more). A better technique is to take a look at where the arrow is pointing when you are 50 feet out and go to that location. Inside that a 10' recalculation error will move the needle to much. You will end up chasing the arrow. I never turn on the compass and find it is steadier without it. Just the other day under tree cover it was doing that point the wrong way and I looked and for some reason the compass was turned on. Turned it off. Walked twenty feet and distance and arrow were correct went right to it.

The previous post is good advice. Additionally, when getting close to the cache (50ft or less) I always flip to the map screen and zoom in the whole way. On the map screen you can see your position (the triangle icon) relative to the cache location.

I also believe that you will be more successful not even looking at the GPS once you get under 20 feet of the cache. I have yet to know of a geocacher who has found the cache while looking at their GPS.