"Marine" caches

brooke1237

Hi,

I'm new to this activity. I was wondering if there are any "marine" caches or caches in islands. I live on Georgian Bay near Midland, Ontario and I thought it might be fun to combine boating and geocaching. If any such caches exist are they designated, marked or lavelled so as to recognize them as requiring a boat for access?

Thanx, brooke1237

There are numerous caches that require a boat. Caches rated at 5 stars for terrain require special equipment and often means a boat. There is also a boat required attribute available for cache pages that looks like this boat-yes.gif.

Some cache owners don't use the attributes and some don't properly rate their caches so not all boat required caches will have either, but checking 5 star difficulty caches as well as looking for the the boat required attribute should get you most.

If you were a premium member you could run a pocket query to select only 5 star difficulty caches and/or the boat required attribute, making your search a lot easier. Without pocket queries you can use the geocaching.com cache maps to search for cache that appear to be out on the water.

Edited by briansnat

There are also quite a few so-called "hydro caches" which are literally hidden under water. You would need special equipment such as scuba gear to find them or if they aren't too deep, the ability to hold your breath for a couple of minutes.... :rolleyes: