POI Loader

shivia

Hi all. For newbie like me, do you know the websites showing a tutorial how to use poi loader, how to create, how to use it etc...

In my town, they will install speed zone cameras and i heard we can create POIs reminding me that i enter these zones.

Thanks for your help.

Hi all. For newbie like me, do you know the websites showing a tutorial how to use poi loader, how to create, how to use it etc...

In my town, they will install speed zone cameras and i heard we can create POIs reminding me that i enter these zones.

Thanks for your help.

Check out poi-factory.com

The answers to all of your questions will be answered there.

What's difference between POI and waypoint? thanks.

Basically, they're the same. Depending on the model of GPS, POIs get stored on the removable memory, and given their small data size, essentially zillions of 'em can be stored. POIs can have more information associated with them than can waypoints. Waypoints, depending on your GPS, are stored in the GPS memory, are limited in number and the amount of associated information.

If you have a bunch of waypoints that you always want to have with you (or a whole bunch of caches), converting them to POIs is the way to go.

If you have a bunch of waypoints that you always want to have with you (or a whole bunch of caches), converting them to POIs is the way to go.

- thanks JBnW.

How to convert waypoint to POI? And POI to waypoint?

Edited by shivia

- thanks JBnW.

How to convert waypoint to POI? And POI to waypoint?

A POI file is just a text file with a CSV extension. There are a number of free programs that will convert a GPX file to a CSV file, such as GPS Utility.

I load some dozen POIs found from POI-Factory to my 60csx. WHERE they store in my gps? When i browse around using waypoints/all POIs menu functions, i don't see them.

How can i display them on my CN? thanks.

Edited by shivia

I load some dozen POIs found from POI-Factory to my 60csx. WHERE they store in my gps? When i browse around using waypoints/all POIs menu functions, i don't see them.

Good morning. First, hit "Find" then "Custom POI". If your loading was successful, you should see them all here. To get them to display, go to the Map screen, hit "Menu -> Setup Map -> Enter". Scroll to "Map Setup-Points" (the flag icon), then scroll down to "Map Points". Should be set to "Auto", hit "Enter" to change this to one of the Zoom settings listed, and then "Enter" again to select. Then, the POIs will show when you've zoomed in closer than this setting. Don't set this too high as many POIs will clutter up the display. Once you zoom out farther than the selected setting, the POIs should disappear from the map. Hope this helps!

Should be set to "Auto", hit "Enter" to change this to one of the Zoom settings listed, and then "Enter" again to select. Then, the POIs will show when you've zoomed in closer than this setting

- Thanks, you're the good instructor. I'm ok now with my 60csx. And also good for my nuvi 760.

- But i don't find the zoom settings on nuvi 760 like we have on the 60csx. Is there there a hidden zoom settings somewhere on the unit?

If by "CN", you mean City Navigator, then what you are really asking is how to load Custom POIs into MapSource (which is the program as opposed to City Navigator which is the map data).

MapSource will open GPX files directly, so you can just open MapSource and select File > Open and be sure the file type is GPX and then navigate to the location on your computer where you have located the file.

If you want to see more than one set of Custom POIs (ie more than one Custom POI file) in MapSource at the same time, you will need to open a second instance of MapSource (you can have multiple instances of MapSource open at the same time) and copy and paste them all into a single instance of MapSource.

Note that once you open them in MapSource, they become Waypoint/Favorites in MapSource. If you send them to the GPS unit from MapSource, they will not be loaded as Custom POIs on the unit. They will be Waypoints/Favorites. So be sure that you are using POI Loader to load them to the GPS unit if you want them to be Custom POIs on the unit.