Website Using PQ data

FourDoggies

This is really a question for Jeremy or the powers that be, but I figure I would ask here....

I am building a utility to help manage the challenge caches around Georgia. I am mainly doing it as an excuse to learn windows & asp.net programming. The way it works is I load my set of pockets queries for the state of GA and then load the MyFinds PQ.

I can then generate reports for the Back To School challenge, DeLorme Challenge, WellRound Cacher, etc. The report will show what I have done and then what I need to do. For my need to do list it will also show a list of caches that I can use to satisfy those requirements.

I have mentioned this to a couple of friends and they said it would be nice to have access to this via the web. I was thinking for my next round to convert it to web based.

The catch is I would like to load my PQs from all of GA onto the server side. The user would then load their MyFinds PQ and generate reports.

The data that I would give the user in a report is the waypoint and name of cache, nothing else.

Would using pocket queries in this way violate the term of use agreement?

Please do not answer use GSAK or some other tool....as I stated I am doing this to learn the development environment and I am building the tool anyways. The question is can I share it or must I keep it to myself.

Thanks,

Jeff

You and your friends would be sharing pocket query data, so yes, this would be against the terms of use. You should write to Groundspeak to see whether they'd be willing to enter into a license agreement. An analogy would be the "It's Not About the Numbers" website, which is licensed to accept user uploads of "All finds" pocket queries for the purpose of generating maps and statistics.

Asking someone to load a PQ on to your site is a violation of the TOU. In the case of INATN and the other site, I forget it's name, they have a license from Groundspeak that allows them to have the MyFinds PQ. Not sure about the issue of using your PQ's with the users PQ to generate a report.

Instead of asking here and not getting an answer that is not worth a cup of coffee I suggest you write Groundspeak and ask them the question. Then you have the official word. Besides, if your going to have users load PQ's your going to need the license from GS anyway so your going to need to write them.

Jim