Pocket Queries

zone97

Who could I contact about getting my pocket queries resent (limit of 5 was reached by accident). I just got back into geocaching today, was a premium member a year ago. When I reactivated my premium account all the pocket queries I had activated. However I needed them in a GPX format as I now have a new GPS (this was why I was out for a year.) I have removed the un-used queries, and updated the ones I need but can not get them to run again..

Thanks.

How many caches are you planning on finding in the next 20 hours. You can download the GPX files from the

individual cache pages in just a few minutes or so. This is Saturday after all and I don't think your failure to read directions or test a process before running all 5 of your queries is a major emergency that demands immediate response. I think you would be amazed if this was the general practice on the site of just how many people worldwide would need to run just one more query. If it is truly so important you can create a three month account for $10.

Team Taran

Actually I just need to run 1 more today. Is there no one that runs the site willing to help?

This is one of the irritating things about Groundspeak. Even if you lost your PQ's due to their error, you don't get them back. For example, if you have 5 PQ's set to run on Thursday, and GS doesn't run them until Friday, you lose your 5 for Friday.

How many caches are you planning on finding in the next 20 hours. You can download the GPX files from the

individual cache pages in just a few minutes or so. This is Saturday after all and I don't think your failure to read directions or test a process before running all 5 of your queries is a major emergency that demands immediate response. I think you would be amazed if this was the general practice on the site of just how many people worldwide would need to run just one more query. If it is truly so important you can create a three month account for $10.

Team Taran

No that your comment has any faults, but I have been out of the game for over a year and was eager to get back on the horse. Not to mention I am a paid user who's money goes to support this site and this hobby. A little compassion for someone who had something run completely out of my control. Had I remembered that a year ago that my queries would fire off the second I reactivated my account I would have done something first. I just figured all that was off line while my account was also.

Well anyway. Today was a bust but i did learn something... asking for help or support is like going to the dentist. It might be what you need in the long run, but for that day it sucks.

I think you missed the first part of my post. If you want to go find some caches, you can totally do it without PQs. just download the GPX files from the cache page. It will give you all the information and the last 20 logs. Everything you need to go find a cache. I've downloaded 5 caches this way in about 15 minutes and gotten them on to my gps. I also believe, but don't know for sure, if you have a Colorado, Oregon, or PN-40 you can download the GPX file from the cache page to your GPS. Lots of people cache without PQs. I messed up a whole day's worth of PQs when I first got my premium membership but that didn't keep me for going out for a day's caching. Sorry you thought I was being unfriendly. I guess it is just that I tend to think that if Groundspeak makes an exception for one cacher, they need to do it for everybody and then why have limits. PQs are a preminum feature so everyone who uses them, supports the site.

I think you missed the first part of my post. If you want to go find some caches, you can totally do it without PQs. just download the GPX files from the cache page. It will give you all the information and the last 20 logs. Everything you need to go find a cache. I've downloaded 5 caches this way in about 15 minutes and gotten them on to my gps. I also believe, but don't know for sure, if you have a Colorado, Oregon, or PN-40 you can download the GPX file from the cache page to your GPS. Lots of people cache without PQs. I messed up a whole day's worth of PQs when I first got my premium membership but that didn't keep me for going out for a day's caching. Sorry you thought I was being unfriendly. I guess it is just that I tend to think that if Groundspeak makes an exception for one cacher, they need to do it for everybody and then why have limits. PQs are a preminum feature so everyone who uses them, supports the site.

Thank you again, this could have been avoided with the option of getting GPX files instead of LOC from the search for caches page. Where you check off the ones you want and then download. I am aware of the sing files you can get per cache, but I was in the need to get a lot on my unit this morning. I was able to use LOC originally sent, but missed a lot of the convince of the data held inside the GPX.

Again, whats done is done. I didn't think that flipping a switch would have been such an ordeal. I had not intended this to be so public but being I did not get a reply from an email attempt I figured some one here could pull the trigger without much hassle. I do understand that a lot of people would want something like this however I felt that my situation was a bit unique. Being as I was not an active user, and had this happen without my knowledge. I figured Groundspeak would handle this for me. I didn't consider it an unreasonable request.

Scratch all that.. I had to go do some work and had time to think.. I have a solution for problems just like this.. Here ya go..

New feature request: Pocket Queries Second Chance (word it however)

Lets say someone has a need to have more than 5 runs in a day for whatever reason. The reason doesn't matter. On there pocket query page there will be a new button [second chance], when this button is clicked it will take them to a page explaining how this works.

Second chance offers users the ability to run [1] or [all] (meaning the team picks the terms not the user) queries again in the same 24 hour period once in a [7] or [30] day period (again team choice) The user will then be re-informed that that chances to the queries need to be made PRIOR to initiating this feature. such as disabling them or making the needed chances (if this is how the team wants to make it work) first.

This gives everyone with whatever reason no reason to bring this up again. Because just like Tequila said earlier there are other things that could cause a user to need this feature.

Thank you.

Edited by zone97

One of the things no one has mentioned is the ability to PREVIEW the results of the pocket query first before setting the generator to run the pocket query.

From my FAQ on the subject:

Once you've got the criteria to the right set, click on "Submit Information" and let the page refresh. When the page reloads, you'll get this message: Thanks! Your query has been modified You can preview the search on the nearest cache page.

Click the preview to see how many caches you'll be getting. If it's "no caches" - check the criteria again.

One of the things no one has mentioned is the ability to PREVIEW the results of the pocket query first before setting the generator to run the pocket query.

From my FAQ on the subject:

Once you've got the criteria to the right set, click on "Submit Information" and let the page refresh. When the page reloads, you'll get this message: Thanks! Your query has been modified You can preview the search on the nearest cache page.

Click the preview to see how many caches you'll be getting. If it's "no caches" - check the criteria again.

This does not apply in my original situation. The process ran, and I got emails before I realized that I need to make changes first.

Or how about you can borrow from tomorrow's allotment of queries. That way if you screw up you can take a loan on your future queries and get the job done.

Anyway, if the PQ redesign ultimately takes the shape of our current plans, a situation like this will never happen.

Looking forward to it. Any ETA?????

Hmm.. if you could borrow from tomorrow.. could you also borrow from the past? Let's say you haven't used all your PQs in the last (x) days.. could you use that?

Or.. have a total of 35/week (or 35/7-day period) instead of 5/day..

Lots of possibilities!

I'm thinking about how PQ's can be skipped because you ran them on a server heavy day. Now your taking about them not being skipped but crashing the server. :unsure: