Log Winder

knowschad

Finally got around to taking the advice of my friend, bflentje, and stopped by a Michael's craft store and picked up a few quilling tools. The ones I got were less than $3 each.

I had to open the tip a bit using a needle, but once I did that, and tried winding a strip of paper, I was sold! But the tip is a bit delicate, and unprotected. So, what I did was to take a razor blade and cut off the rubber coating on the handle. Next, I took a Papermate ballpoint pen of the sort shown in the pictures, and pulled the tip off. A little superglue on the handle of the quilling tool was all that it took to hold it into the barrel of the pen. The pen's cap now fits over the tip of the tool, keeping the pocket lint out, and preventing it from being bent or smashed.

b5326b0a-5c6d-4fab-8f82-0dd324339396.jpg

The finished and assembled tool inserted into the pen body looks just like the original pen.

638aee56-9a60-47a7-aa5b-3abff95355c0.jpg

The tip is out of focus pretty badly but what it is is a thin tube with a fine slit cut down its length. You insert the paper, and twist. Really sweet!! Thanks, Bart!

Edited by knowschad

I say again.....

BEST.

Tool.

EVAR!!

nc-tw225-cross-lock-tweezers-0.jpg

~*

I agree that they look useful. Where do you find them?

On the other hand, your tweezers edges are not parallel... seems more likely to roll the log into a conical shape. I read in another thread about the advantages of your forceps and do not dispute them, but this is also a serious nano log winder.

Funny, I logged on tonight specifficaly to post my idea on how to wind those impossible micro logs. Glad to see others have come up w/ a solution but thought I would share mine as well. In most cases most people will not even need to buy anything.

Take a bobby pin and the shorter bend side straighten w/ a pair of plyers. Insert end of log and wind up then pull bobby pin out. Simple, and cheap...........though I did have to get a bobby pin from my mother in law.

Ladybug*

I say again.....

BEST.

Tool.

EVAR!!

nc-tw225-cross-lock-tweezers-0.jpg

~*

I agree that they look useful. Where do you find them?

eBuy. (~<$5, shipped)

Harbor Freight Tools has a not-as-good, but cheaper type; comes in a set of diff styles.

Prolly best way to see available sources - Goog 'em. Search strings "crosslock tweezers"; "cross lock tweezers"; & "cross-lock tweezers" produce some interestingly different results.

SOME of these can run quite pricey, ie, the riveted titanium ones; some of the electronics-use models with wooden insulation pads on the 'handles' area, used in soldering.

On the other hand, your tweezers edges are not parallel... seems more likely to roll the log into a conical shape. I read in another thread about the advantages of your forceps and do not dispute them, but this is also a serious nano log winder.

Not as 'conical' as you might think....they're 'sharp pointed' - it's a very low angle taper. You can about roll nano-logs tighter'n a match stick! 'Micro' size logs too...especially Bisons. Actually, I just roll 'em up kinda loosely, then when near the tag end 'neaten' up the edges a bit with my fingernail, then give a final li'l tightening tug on the tag & you're done. The strip will be so neat & tight, you gotta sometimes squeeze the handles slightly to spread the points so you can wiggle the tip out of the rolled-up center. 9/10 times I can add another new log-strip onto an older, 'full' log when it needs it, helping the cache owner, & thus not removing his old log in a swap-out. EASILY get a full 11" strip into a blinky-nano with room to spare, & in ~10 seconds!

Trust me, they work & work well, else I wouldn't be so persistent in my recommendation. And as mentioned in that earlier thread, magnets stick to 'em (helps not drop the nano while winding). Plus, none of the other 'competition' mentioned has that beloved splinter, briar & wasp-stinger removal quality! *LOL*

~*

Edited by Star*Hopper