Sending caches to your GPs

moraelyn

I was wondering if there is a faster way to send the Geocache locations to your GPS any faster than just doing them one at a time?

I was considering adding all the caches in my city to my eTrex Legend C, as a way to always have them on hand whenever I'm in a different part of the city and find time to try and find a cache. I already have about 40 or so uploaded into my unit, and it took a bit of time to do those. I wouldn't mind doing them all individually, but I figure I might miss a few if I try to do them one at a time.

Is there any way to upload a group of waypoint files so that it will take less time, and to be sure that I get them all?

Thanks,

Moraelyn

Yes if you are a premium member($30yr) then you can use pocket queries allowing you to download up 500? caches a time based on size/ type or within a certain radius of a chosen point amogst others.

Most pepole I think agree that it is well worth it.

Edited for messed up linky.

Thanks for the information. There are only about 200 or so that I would want to put into my unit. Not really worth the $30.00 upgrade for me at this point :laughing: I've yet to have time to try and find my first cache, as I want this to be a family activity, and it's too cold for my wife and I to take out 2 1/2 year old out with us just yet. More of a fair weather activity, another reason for us to enjoy the many parks and walking trails in the city.

There are a few winter available caches that I know of, but the weather hasn't let up enough to try for 'em yet ;)

If you search for nearest caches you can click the box in the upper right part of the page to select all 20 caches listed on the page. Then you can go to the bottom of the page and click on Download Waypoints. This will allow you to download a .loc file with the basic cache info for the 20 caches to your computer. You can then load the caches into your GPS using a variety of free programs, such as GPSBabel. I think this is essentially correct and am sure it will be added to by others more knowledgeable than I.

If you search for nearest caches you can click the box in the upper right part of the page to select all 20 caches listed on the page. Then you can go to the bottom of the page and click on Download Waypoints. This will allow you to download a .loc file with the basic cache info for the 20 caches to your computer. You can then load the caches into your GPS using a variety of free programs, such as GPSBabel. I think this is essentially correct and am sure it will be added to by others more knowledgeable than I.

yeh I just discoverd that earlier - must try it out to see how it works.

To the OP:

If you mainly go cacheing in the summer and think the $30 is too much, premium membership is avalible for $10 for 3 months.

IMHO I would dgo for that as it is not teribly expensive on the baises that you can try it out and see what benifit you would get from the upgrade. If you decide the upgrade isn't woth the extra then you don't have to go for it again and you still have the 200 caches + whatever else you have downloaded in that time. If you do like it then you can just upgrade for the 3 months each year you wish to. But the choice is yours.

Edited by Hampshire_Hog

I was wondering if there is a faster way to send the Geocache locations to your GPS any faster than just doing them one at a time?

I was considering adding all the caches in my city to my eTrex Legend C, as a way to always have them on hand whenever I'm in a different part of the city and find time to try and find a cache. I already have about 40 or so uploaded into my unit, and it took a bit of time to do those. I wouldn't mind doing them all individually, but I figure I might miss a few if I try to do them one at a time.

Is there any way to upload a group of waypoint files so that it will take less time, and to be sure that I get them all?

Thanks,

Moraelyn

i go to my 'mygarmin' account and click on the geocaching link and search up geocaches by zipcode then pick the ones i want and send to gps. it's free and easy. by perusing the threads in here i get the impression that not many people do it this way, but i don't know why. i would get a premium membership but i just don't geocache that much.

i go to my 'mygarmin' account and click on the geocaching link and search up geocaches by zipcode then pick the ones i want and send to gps. it's free and easy. by perusing the threads in here i get the impression that not many people do it this way, but i don't know why. i would get a premium membership but i just don't geocache that much.

I never knew it could be done via the MyGarmin website. I'll have to check it out. I though I had already signed up for that before, but just tried to login and it wouldn't work. Guess I'll have to do it again.

Do you know if that option only works in the US? I'm from Canada.

Thanks,

Moraelyn