Why does Delorme PN-20 have additional digit for waypoint?

teamfox4

I just got my PN-20, figured out how to mark waypoints manually, and noticed on the PN-20 it has an extra digit. In example, when I mark it has N 47 99.9999, but the cache coords just have N 47 99.999. Am I supposed to add "0" for the last number? I know I've got the right datum, and am set to degrees and minutes corectly.

I saw some pics in the delorme manual that had the numbers both ways, so I don't know if theres a way to change it to the right amount of digits or if I even should mess with it.

Also, it came with "Topo USA 7" CD and "PN-20 Regional precut maps". Are these the same thing? I loaded Washington State onto my 1GB SD card with the precut and it said it didn't have room for anything else! I was hoping to get a few states on there! Not sure if I'm doing this the best way.

Thanks! I love my Delorme, but the learning curve has been difficult!

Edited by teamfox4
Also, it came with "Topo USA 7" CD and "PN-20 Regional precut maps". Are these the same thing? I loaded Washington State onto my 1GB SD card with the precut and it said it didn't have room for anything else! I was hoping to get a few states on there! Not sure if I'm doing this the best way.

They are related, but two different things. As you seem to have found, you can transfer the regional maps directly to SD card for use in the PN-20...they include topo, routable street data and POIs. We call them "precuts" because Delorme has already used Topo7 to create the maps for your convenient use.

Users can also "cut" (i.e., define boundaries, specify data type, and convert the data into PN-20 format) their own detail maps. You might want a smaller rectangle covering your local area, for example, in internal memory (which runs faster on the PN-20 than data off the SD card).

No problem getting several states on an SD card--if you buy a larger card. I got a 16GB card for $25 not long ago, and 4GB cards can often be picked up for a few bucks. (You can get broader coverage with less memory cutting your own maps if you leave the topo contours out of the cut.)

No problem getting several states on an SD card--if you buy a larger card. I got a 16GB card for $25 not long ago, and 4GB cards can often be picked up for a few bucks. (You can get broader coverage with less memory cutting your own maps if you leave the topo contours out of the cut.)

Just bought a 4 gig card at Radio Shack for $12.