Question for verizon users--phone for cache info, not GPS funtion

mgosho

So this exact question hasn't been answered, even after perusing the forums. It's time for me to get a new phone, and I have Verizon. I have a GPS unit that I like just fine, I just want to be able to load the cache information into the phone, so that I don't have to worry about printing. Also, I want to be able to download the gpx file, because some places I go I won't always have cell phone coverage, and I don't want to be web dependent. Any opinions/advice would be much appreciated

Verizon user here, I can only recommend cacheberry (google it!) for the Blackberry phones...it stored GPX info offline. Prob with BBs are they need expensive data plans to have.

Treo phones will let you use cachemate (google it!).

I'm sure that if you ever started to use GSAK (google it ! :D) there are macros to spin cache information into plain text files that will let you load onto the hone.

No real need for it now, as the whole cache page is displayed on my Oregon GPS for up to 2000 caches.

Edited by Maingray

I'll second the vote for Cacheberry, great program for offline GPX viewing. It will let you view the data, view on Google Maps.

If you do have coverage I have to say that Bcaching (www.bcaching.com) is my vote. I like it since the device doesn't need to do the heavy lifting. You just load the web interface either from your computer or via email with GPX files. The site then handles the files. You then just go to www.bcaching.com/m on your mobile device to log/view caches. If you're running a BlackBerry you can view the cache on Google Maps or BlackBerry maps. You can also download the individual cache as a GPX file to load into a GPS program like BlackStar.

Once you finish for the day you just hop back onto bcaching.com and download a geocache_visits.txt file that can be uploaded to Geocaching.com to log your finds.

I just want to be able to load the cache information into the phone, so that I don't have to worry about printing.

It would useful to know what kind of phone you have (ie, brand and model number).

Well that's the thing, I'm buying a new phone, but I'm staying with Verizon--I have options with the blackberry storm, and a few of the PDA/smartphones, but definitely verizon.

If the phone is a WM professional phone, then you have bunches of options. I have both Cachemate & GPSBasic on my Touch Pro.

So as long as it has windows mobile, I'm good to go? Thanks, I think I know what I'm getting now

If its time for you to get a new phone, the best bet is to LEAVE verizon. I hated them. dadgum locked-out proprietary phones with crappy vcast. Ugh! *spit, spit*. Although, their coverage was pretty good (because in my area they were using other networks towers - not verizons).

That being said, you should go with one of the smartphones with windows mobile... NOT the Palm OS, or blackberry. I know a bunch of computer techs, and their palm OS phones crash a lot, they call it "getting palmed".

That being said, you should go with one of the smartphones with windows mobile... NOT the Palm OS, or blackberry. I know a bunch of computer techs, and their palm OS phones crash a lot, they call it "getting palmed".

Based on my experience with all three OS:

Blackberry is very locked down and I will never voluntarily use one again.

PalmOS is stable, easy on the battery, easy to use, and has 200 kerbillion free apps, syncs much better. I do not assume Palm will survive much longer due to years of their own corporate stupdity.

WMobile is usually on much better hardware, has better wireless connectivity, is slightly less stable, harder on the battery, syncs sometimes if at all, and every little dinky app will cost you. Grrr!

Note: "SmartPhone" is not synonymous with "WindowsMobile". Smartphone is the no-touchscreen version of WM; PocketPC is the touchscreen version. Usually PPC can run smartphone binaries but not the other way around.

If I could get a modern PalmOS interface on WM hardware (wifi/bt) I'd probably take it.

Another note: if you have the opportunity to go with a GSM network you can change phones at will. Buy a used one off eBay, whatever.*

frater mus

* assuming the phone is either for the same network or is unlocked. All mine are unlocked.

If the phone is a WM professional phone, then you have bunches of options. I have both Cachemate & GPSBasic on my Touch Pro.

So as long as it has windows mobile, I'm good to go? Thanks, I think I know what I'm getting now

which one? I am in the same boat and the taxman wants to buy me a new phone! :mad: