Warning: email addresses are being harvested from cache listing pages

Whizz Kid

I used a single specific email address for reporting problems with caches that I have placed. I am now finding myself getting increasing amounts of spam emails being sent to that address. I strongly suspect that it has been harvested by a spider for the purposes of spamming from geocaching.com Obfuscating the email address does not help, as geocaching.com re-interprets the address in HTML and so defeats the object.

Moral- don't include an email in the listing. Just let users contact you through the site.

Whizz

:laughing:

I used a single specific email address for reporting problems with caches that I have placed. I am now finding myself getting increasing amounts of spam emails being sent to that address. I strongly suspect that it has been harvested by a spider for the purposes of spamming from geocaching.com Obfuscating the email address does not help, as geocaching.com re-interprets the address in HTML and so defeats the object.

Moral- don't include an email in the listing. Just let users contact you through the site.

Whizz

:laughing:

Why would you put your email in the cache listing?? Much safer to simply state "contact me through my profile".

I've been using the same email address for more than a decade. I don't bother trying to obfuscate it. Junkmail filters are your friend.

The reality is that if you share your email address with anyone, then the spammers will get it eventually. Someone who has your email address will succumb to the latest MS Outlook malware, and your email address will be blasted everywhere.

I've got a email box that I only use for PQs. Never posted anywhere. Still get junk mail.

There are techniques that junkmailers use to determine valid mail accounts. On involves simply making up usernames for known servers and testing to see if the server accepts the attempt. If the attempt succeeds then that email address is put on a list.

In my case, it doesn't bother me as the email in that box is processed automatically on a daily basis. All email is down loaded and everything that is not a zipped file is deleted. GSAK then deletes the zipped GPX during import. The box to this day does not have extra files.

I do handle spam in my regular accounts with a wonderful free Bayesian-based filter called K-9. As of today it has been running for 1468 days, processed over 37,000 emails, has an accuracy rates of 99.34% and more importantly a false positive rate of only 0.02%.

Like niraD, I've been using the same email address for years. It gets a ton of spam. I've never used the tricks to track down leaks nor have I used temporary email addresses. My address is now hosted at gmail (using the Apps for your Domain service) and thus uses their spam filtering. I probably have about 1 junk message per day that makes it past the filter.... but I easily get a couple hundred spam messages per day.

Good filters are your friend B)