Another oregon issue

gessner17

I wasn't able to find anyone that posted anything about this but was woundering if anyone with an oregon (400t specifically) could test theirs. I have 3 mapsets I want to load. I have city navigator NT 09, recreational lakes with fishing hot spots and an old map called US roads and recreation (i use this because it has the dirt roads on it that it use a lot). When I load the rec lakes map data on the units internal memory I can read it fine. When i put my sd card in, which i have the city navigator and roads and rec loaded on, i can read those 2 maps fine but when i try to switch to the lakes map, the map is either white or is missing parts of the map like they are not loaded now. Usually gives me just a white screen. I disabled all maps except lakes. Now the odd thing is, if I take the sd card out and try to read it the same way I did before when it worked, it still gives me a white screen, like it's been corrupted. If i do a master reset, it will read the lakes map until i put the sd card in, then it whites out the map and is unreadable until i do the master reset again and boot it up without the sd card. When i try to load all 3 maps on one file on my sd card, i get similar results but it just will usually not read all of the lakes maps, and sometimes won't recognize that they are loaded. I'm using 2.86 firmware.

You must make sure that the mapset on your SDcard and the one on your Oregon internal mamory are not both named "gmapsupp.img". If they are you're unit may act as you describe. Try renaming the one on the SDcard to "gmapprom.img" and see if that works. :D

I did that and it doesn't read the maps off the sd card at all.

Edited by gessner17
You must make sure that the mapset on your SDcard and the one on your Oregon internal mamory are not both named "gmapsupp.img". If they are you're unit may act as you describe.

On my 400t, on the base unit under Garmin, I have 1) gmapprom.img 2) gmapsupp.img 3) gmaptz.img 4) gmapprom.sum under NO NAME which is the card I have gmapsupp.img.

As you can see there is a map on both the unit and the card with the same name "gmapsupp.img" and I am able to switch to and from any of the three maps with no problem.

You must make sure that the mapset on your SDcard and the one on your Oregon internal mamory are not both named "gmapsupp.img". If they are you're unit may act as you describe.

On my 400t, on the base unit under Garmin, I have 1) gmapprom.img 2) gmapsupp.img 3) gmaptz.img 4) gmapprom.sum under NO NAME which is the card I have gmapsupp.img.

As you can see there is a map on both the unit and the card with the same name "gmapsupp.img" and I am able to switch to and from any of the three maps with no problem.

I called garmin and they didn't say anything about renaming any files. They thought it was from using an 8GB card but it reads the card fine, it's the darn maps on the unit that don't work. I'm well under the 4000 segment limit (3700). I have tried other sd cards just to be sure, this is driving me nuts, i need my lake charts for fishing :D

There is also a 4gb maps size limit. Does your map exceed 4gb?

The internal memory will read 3 basic map file names.

Preprogrammed maps - gmapprom.img

Base map – gmapbmap.img

Supplemental maps – gmapsupp.img

Gmaptz.img is your time zone map.

The external memory will only read a gmapsupp.img file.

You have to select more than one map set in Mapsource and send the single gmapsupp.img file to the external memory. Or, you can try combining map files together with GmapTool. I’m currently travelling in the US but heading to Mexico tomorrow. I have City Navigator North America NT 2009, Topo US 2008 v.2, City Navigator Mexico NT 2008 and MexicoGPSAtlas combined together into one gmapsupp.img file and loaded on an 8 gig microSDHC. I have several individual complete MapSource product files already generated. It only takes a couple minutes to combine different country map files together. It could take a couple hours to generate a new map file in MapSource. Oh, and it’s all working too.

Edited by Cacheoholic

There is also a 4gb maps size limit. Does your map exceed 4gb?

The internal memory will read 3 basic map file names.

Preprogrammed maps - gmapprom.img

Base map – gmapbmap.img

Supplemental maps – gmapsupp.img

Gmaptz.img is your time zone map.

The external memory will only read a gmapsupp.img file.

You have to select more than one map set in Mapsource and send the single gmapsupp.img file to the external memory. Or, you can try combining map files together with GmapTool. I’m currently travelling in the US but heading to Mexico tomorrow. I have City Navigator North America NT 2009, Topo US 2008 v.2, City Navigator Mexico NT 2008 and MexicoGPSAtlas combined together into one gmapsupp.img file and loaded on an 8 gig microSDHC. I have several individual complete MapSource product files already generated. It only takes a couple minutes to combine different country map files together. It could take a couple hours to generate a new map file in MapSource. Oh, and it’s all working too.

My build is less than 2GB but has a lot of segments (3200). I have them loaded correctly with correct file names and types. I called garmin again today and they were stumped, opened some kind of ticket for me. We will see what they can figure out. i'm trying to get them to do a build with the same maps to see if they can replicate the issue. I think it's a compatibility issue with this one map because everything else works fine.

Yeah, I would agree. One thing to double check, when you run you tests do you have the same segments from any mapset loaded on both internal memory and SD card? This used to cause a problem on the Oregon, I've never retested to see if it has been fixed. The notes I made in the issues list claimed it caused a freeze which isn't what you are seeing but I thought I would throw it out there. Let us know what Garmin has to say, it should be pretty easy to reproduce with the right maps.

Yeah, I would agree. One thing to double check, when you run you tests do you have the same segments from any mapset loaded on both internal memory and SD card? This used to cause a problem on the Oregon, I've never retested to see if it has been fixed. The notes I made in the issues list claimed it caused a freeze which isn't what you are seeing but I thought I would throw it out there. Let us know what Garmin has to say, it should be pretty easy to reproduce with the right maps.

Yeah, double checked that, I've reloaded it so many times, there is no way i messed up every time.

Yeah, double checked that, I've reloaded it so many times, there is no way i messed up every time.

Well garmin got back to me and we both think it's segment limit issue. He says he checked with programmers and they said the maximum segments for the 400T is 3571 which I was going over, I backed it down and it's working fine. I know wiki says 4196 but either the topo segment count i read is incorrect or their doc is wrong. Not sure but if anyone has similar issues, this seems to fix it.