Which GPSr

JPD252

After reading numerous (seemingly heated) arguments within the forums I think I'm leading towards the Delorme. Topo 7 and preinstalled maps are what is swaying me. The satellite imagery would be suited for me for fishing. I'm going to drop the oregon because of display issues that I didn't know about.

After reading numerous (seemingly heated) arguments within the forums I think I'm leading towards the Delorme. Topo 7 and preinstalled maps are what is swaying me. The satellite imagery would be suited for me for fishing. I'm going to drop the oregon because of display issues that I didn't know about.

The NOAA charts might be helpful for you as well!! I am a very happy PN-40 lover and think you'll be in love with your DeLorme as well!! Good luck!

With the Oregon out and only the 60CSx and PN-40 in contention, let's consider paperless geocacaching. Most cachers are moving towards paperless caching nowadays.

With the DeLorme PN-40, a truly paperless capabilty is provided right out of the box. Nothing else is required.

Now, I have never used a 60CSx, but from reading the posts of those who do and recommend it, you will also need to aquire some other items. Frequently mentioned are a PDA (such as a Palm Pilot, or other) and two software applications (usually Cachemate and GSAK). Outside of that, you'll be good to go. Note, if I'm mistaken on these details, I welcome correction.

With the Oregon out and only the 60CSx and PN-40 in contention, let's consider paperless geocacaching. Most cachers are moving towards paperless caching nowadays.

With the DeLorme PN-40, a truly paperless capabilty is provided right out of the box. Nothing else is required.

Now, I have never used a 60CSx, but from reading the posts of those who do and recommend it, you will also need to aquire some other items. Frequently mentioned are a PDA (such as a Palm Pilot, or other) and two software applications (usually Cachemate and GSAK). Outside of that, you'll be good to go. Note, if I'm mistaken on these details, I welcome correction.

Help me out here. I thought paperless caching is not available yet for the PN-40. I thought it is a firmware upgrade due out in the very near future? As of right now I use my windows smartphone and an iPod for paperless caching.

Help me out here. I thought paperless caching is not available yet for the PN-40. I thought it is a firmware upgrade due out in the very near future? As of right now I use my windows smartphone and an iPod for paperless caching.

The PN-40 has paperless caching capability right now but the information from the cache page is limited to 800 characters. The upcoming firmware update will eliminate that limit.

Edited by Pax42

Nothing wrong with the display on my Oregon. I absolutely love it for paperless geocaching.

You can't really go wrong with either a 60csx or a PN-40. As previous posters have pointed out, it mostly depends on whether you want all the map options and paperless caching features of the PN-40. The 60csx offers topo maps and routable road maps, but the topo are no where near the quality of the ones available for the PN-40 (but with a subscription cost). Both will get you to a cache and work for other things, it just depends on what bells and whistles you would like to have to do so :(

I personally have a 60csx, but the PN-40 wasn't around when I bought mine. I've never had any issues with my Garmin. The Delorme does look quite nice though. Tough choice.

Currently I enjoy my Garmin 60CSx. Last year I bought the PN-20 because of the added features, but was disappointed because of the speed. Everything worked great except for the speed.

I still use the excellent TopoUSA maps and subscribed to their Map Library for the aerial overlays. I like to think that I have a good method of getting everything working with my 60CSx & GSAK and my PDA, but I can't bring myself to use the PN-20 becuase it's so slow.

PN-40 owners : Is the 40 up to speed(It seems to lag when I'm even hiking and too slow when searching for a waypoint)? Does it load waypoints any faster from TopoUSA (the first 100 load fast, but it goes downhill from there)? Does page flipping work significantly faster (at least close to the screen flipping speeds in the 60CSx)? I'd love to move to the PN-40, but my disappointment with the PN-20 is holding me back.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it would be good to hear from users who may have had a 60CSx before owning a PN-40.

One thing to remember is that you need to buy maps for the 60CSx - the PN-40 comes with TopoUSA which I feel is a better map program than Garmin's.

Currently I enjoy my Garmin 60CSx. Last year I bought the PN-20 because of the added features, but was disappointed because of the speed. Everything worked great except for the speed.

I still use the excellent TopoUSA maps and subscribed to their Map Library for the aerial overlays. I like to think that I have a good method of getting everything working with my 60CSx & GSAK and my PDA, but I can't bring myself to use the PN-20 becuase it's so slow.

PN-40 owners : Is the 40 up to speed(It seems to lag when I'm even hiking and too slow when searching for a waypoint)? Does it load waypoints any faster from TopoUSA (the first 100 load fast, but it goes downhill from there)? Does page flipping work significantly faster (at least close to the screen flipping speeds in the 60CSx)? I'd love to move to the PN-40, but my disappointment with the PN-20 is holding me back.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it would be good to hear from users who may have had a 60CSx before owning a PN-40.

One thing to remember is that you need to buy maps for the 60CSx - the PN-40 comes with TopoUSA which I feel is a better map program than Garmin's.

My PN-40 is very fast, no slow downloads of caches (I loaded 500 without any big wait). Never noticed how "fast" page scrolling was with the 60csx, but I'm guessing the PN-40 will make you very happy! You could always find a store that stocks the PN-40 and check it for yourself though!

Help me out here. I thought paperless caching is not available yet for the PN-40. I thought it is a firmware upgrade due out in the very near future? .......

There are a number of not all in agreement opinions expressed at times.

OTOH, I have trouble getting these guys to run around clutching paper in their hands. :(

Yes, the soon to be released firmware will make the paperless capility even better.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa