problems with 60 csx

I got a 60 CSX a few months ago and this has been a constant problem. I'm out hunting, I need to change my batteries and after I do, the pointer disappears. In fact, all the go to data disappears such as the distance and time till next. Every time, I end up having to do a hard restart to get the thing to work again. Sometimes I have to restart it several times. I sent the first one back to Garmin, they sent me a new one, and I have the same problem all over again. The people at Garmin say they have never heard of this problem. Is this happening to anyone else? What am I doing wrong? I don't want to be in a situation that I need my gps to get out of and have it fail on me.

I got a 60 CSX a few months ago and this has been a constant problem. I'm out hunting, I need to change my batteries and after I do, the pointer disappears. In fact, all the go to data disappears such as the distance and time till next. Every time, I end up having to do a hard restart to get the thing to work again. Sometimes I have to restart it several times. I sent the first one back to Garmin, they sent me a new one, and I have the same problem all over again. The people at Garmin say they have never heard of this problem. Is this happening to anyone else? What am I doing wrong? I don't want to be in a situation that I need my gps to get out of and have it fail on me.

Hmm...I have the 60 csx which I purchased last September and have not had this problem. If I remember correctly there is an internal battery so that you don't lose anything during battery changes or if your batteries go dead. I'd say check your manual or Garmin's site if no one here can confirm this.

I just got mine in December of 2008, and have never lost data. I do turn mine off while changing batteries. This is just a normal routine with me when I am working with any type of computer. I never tried to swap out batteries while the unit was "hot".

Thanks for the responses guys. The issue isn't losing data though. I lose the data because I have to do a hard restart of the unit. The problem is that only sometimes when I change the batteries the Go To data disappears. The pointer won't appear and the other data that would be in the data fields is absent. The GPS is still routing though because if I look at the map page I still have the purple line showing me the way to the cache. It has been very frustrating that i'm the only person in the world with this problem, but it has happened to me with two different units.

When this happens try holding the "page" button until the compass returns...that's what we do when the compass dissapears..

When you go to change the batteries make sure to power off the unit first. That usually saves the goto info (at least it does on our legend CX ) Also when you power it back on is it trying to aquire the sats. Ours will still show the highlighted route but the compass needle and data fields will be blank until it reaquires the sats.