Micro SD in Oregon 400t

aubigdog

I have a Garmin 400t that I am using for 2 main applications: Geocaching and marking remote hunting spots. As a result, I have tons of waypoints from many years of turkey hunting. I installed an old microSd card that I have used in cameras. I have 2 issues:

1. it doesn't seem like the garmin is using the microSD for storage. Will that happen automatically when I use up the native memory?

2. When I connect the garmin to my mac, the microSD card shows up as a separate drive from my garmin and still has some of the folders that my camera created. Do I need to reformat the microSD card for use with the GPS so that it appears like extended memory or is it supposed to appear separately?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I'm new to the Oregon, but probably won't install the 2GB microSD card I bought to use with it.

There's 1.5GB of free internal memory with the EU Oregon 400t

Have you filled your internal memory or are you just looking ahead to when you do?

I don't understand the way the Oregon uses the folders, and storage areas.

Using E:\Garmin\GPX folder for every user POI, route or cache file seems to be what works.

Maybe the Garmin POI loader will help choose another folder, but I expect it will be the internal memeory that is used :)

EDIT: Oh! We need to repeat the folder names on the SD card: http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Computer+Transfer#toc7

If you aren't going to use the card in the camera again, i'd delete stuff left on it you don't need anymore

Edited by kevenh

I'm pretty new to the Oregon 400t also. My question has to do with the Micor SD card I purchased with the City Navigator NT 2009 on it. Can I copy the data on the City Nav SD card to the Oregon internal memory and use it from there? Or, does the City Nav Micro SD card with the program on it have to be in the slot all the time I want to be able to use the City Nav?

I also purchased a couple of 2GB Micro SD cards to have available to use with the 400t if need be and am not sure when it is required. I am seeing that the internal memory and the SD card are showing up as two seperate drives on the PC also.

Appreciate any help, as well.

Hello,

I would definitely reformat to get a nice clean disc. The Oregon has a mass storage drive that is available for photos, etc. So, it is normal to see it listed as a drive.

For the second questions:

Be careful with copying to/from Oregon with your commercial Micro SD card in place. The instructions clearly state that if you overwrite it, there is no warranty. It does have to stay in place 100% of the time and is copy protected. If you had the DVD version, then it might be possible to create additional SD cards for different geographical areas. You cannot copy the DVD to the SD card because that was forseen by Garmin and blocked.

Hope that helps,

Peoria Bill :(

Edited by Peoria Bill

I'm pretty new to the Oregon 400t also. My question has to do with the Micor SD card I purchased with the City Navigator NT 2009 on it. Can I copy the data on the City Nav SD card to the Oregon internal memory and use it from there? Or, does the City Nav Micro SD card with the program on it have to be in the slot all the time I want to be able to use the City Nav?

Depends on how you did this? Did you purchase the SD with Mapsource on it or did you use Mapsource to download the maps? If you purchased the card then copying it to internal memory won't work. If you used Mapsource can copy the maps to internal memory although it will be very tight since CN takes about 1G and that's nearly all the free memory you have in internal memory 400t.

I also purchased a couple of 2GB Micro SD cards to have available to use with the 400t if need be and am not sure when it is required. I am seeing that the internal memory and the SD card are showing up as two seperate drives on the PC also.

That's normal.

Do not buy maps that delivered on SD card.

1. If you loose or break the card you have to order a new one.

2. You can not take backup of it. (maps are locked to that one card)

3. You need the card in the GPS (you can copy the maps to internal memory, but you still need the SD card in GPS to unlock the maps)

4. You can not plan and view maps on PC (No MapSource version)

The only + is that you can use the SD card on other GPS, but not on the same time, since you need to move the card.

I would say that it's much better to order a DVD