Google Earth Free now supports GPS

Magpie Guy

Some good news for cachers who use Google Earth on a regular basis - the new free version of Google Earth (v5) now includes support for a connect GPSr (this was a feature only on the Pro version until now).

I have tried it out and it works a treat. With your Garmin or Magellan GPSr connected to your laptop (or more trendy netbook), GE will show your current location in 'real time'. Alternatively you can download your GPSr data directly into GE without having to use messing conversion programs or websites.

Full details can be found here:

http://freegeographytools.com/2009/gps-sup...of-google-earth

Any reports of how people use this feature will be of interest.

Magpie Guy

grrrr! why am I forced to dowload and install chrome

Munkeh, you must have been too hasty with your install... if you look carefully, the option to install Google Chrome can be switched off when you arrive at the install screen. If you don't want Chrome just uncheck the box and proceed with the download of GE 5. Hope this helps. :laughing:

I use GE to plan areas for caching but it shows ALL caches whether I've found them or not. Can you change it to show only un found caches ?

Also I've some how, a while ago mange to show MY owned caches with a different logo but I've forgotten how I did it !

can anyone help me please.

* if you UPDATE from a previous installed version CROME isn't even an option so you don't need to install *

Edited by Longfram Kev

Shame yiou can still only export as google file not gpx - unless I've missed it?

True - the option for save GPS data from GE directly into gpx format doesn't appear to be supported (though remember we are getting a hell of a lot of bang for zero bucks :laughing: ).

The easiest (though slightly clunky) way to achieve this is as follows:

1. right click on the GPSr data in the GE temporary places section and the Save Place As...

2. save the output to a suitable folder as a KMZ file

3. point your browser to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input...vert_output=gpx

4. at the site upload the KMZ file and click on “Convert”

5. on the following screen right click on the gpx file near the top of the page and select “Save Link As” and save the GPX file to a suitable folder

There is also a reverse tool at this site (http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=googleearth) though this is now redundant as this feature replace by GEs direct support of GPSr .

Magpie Guy