GPSMapEdit Chart for icons

eaparks

Has anyone created a cross reference chart on how the Waypoint icons/symbols in GPSMapEdit will actually appear on the GPS, specifically the Etrex models and 60 and 76 series Garmins. I'm familiar with quite a few and their discrepanices but not all of them. Would like to have a chart for quick reference on how they will actually appear when making custom maps instead of trial and error. Ex. of what I'm referring to is: if I select the "Ridge" or "Rock" in GPSMapEdit which looks like a moutain peak it appears on the GPS (60CSx) as the default small circle but when I select "Summit" which resembles a snow flake it appears on the GPS as a moutain peak.

If anyone has already done this or know of a source for a chart I'd appreciate any input, thanks.

Thanks, Red90, for the link. I did not see any waypts. listed under the 60CSx, only lines and areas. Do you know if the waypts. are the same as the iQue 3600? Just from a quick look at them in the iQue 3600 list it appears that a few may be different on the 60CSx, but I haven't actually checked yet.

Unless I am missing something, the features map does not display any of the "Man Made" type elements with codes 0x64xx of which there are quite a few; crossing, mine, military, etc.

What I am after is something letting me know that when I select "Crossing" in Mapsource 6.13.7 which appears as a bridge that it corresponds with "Crossing" in GPSMapEdit as a brown "X" when transferred to GPS. I don't always use the symbol as it's name implies, for ex. I'll use the "Crossing" (quite a large brown "X") to mark the location of something that is very significant on a map because it stands out so boldly, when other symbols don't apply.

The .txt file "Features Description" that is downloaded with the Map Features page is on the right track for what I'm wanting but isn't complete. It was for a very early version of Mapsource, v5.4.

I greatly appreciate any expertise you can offer.

Unless I am missing something, the features map does not display any of the "Man Made" type elements with codes 0x64xx of which there are quite a few; crossing, mine, military, etc.

What I am after is something letting me know that when I select "Crossing" in Mapsource 6.13.7 which appears as a bridge that it corresponds with "Crossing" in GPSMapEdit as a brown "X" when transferred to GPS. I don't always use the symbol as it's name implies, for ex. I'll use the "Crossing" (quite a large brown "X") to mark the location of something that is very significant on a map because it stands out so boldly, when other symbols don't apply.

The .txt file "Features Description" that is downloaded with the Map Features page is on the right track for what I'm wanting but isn't complete. It was for a very early version of Mapsource, v5.4.

I greatly appreciate any expertise you can offer.

I think each GPS has different icons (at least the 60csx compared to the nuvi compared to the colorado...). Are you gonna take that into account?

Edited by -Oz-

I think each GPS has different icons (at least the 60csx compared to the nuvi compared to the colorado...). Are you gonna take that into account?

I can only do it for the GPS I work with but I'm doing it in columns so others could add an additional column for say the CO or OR. It won't be perfect but will be an updated improvement over what I've seen so far as being available. With new versions of Mapsource it may change, also. At least the Legend Cx, Vista HCx, 60 and 76 series are all the same and some others may be, I'm just not that familiar with other units to say one way or the other.

Unless I am missing something, the features map does not display any of the "Man Made" type elements with codes 0x64xx of which there are quite a few; crossing, mine, military, etc..

Everything is on the features map. Open it with GPSMapedit and have a look.

features-1.jpg

features2-1.jpg