Working out coordinates

whitecamel

Having only recently become aware of geocaching I am keen to get started. At present I have a PDA based GPS which I hope will do for the time being but intend to buy a handheld when I know what I am doing.

The lat/long coordinates on my GPS are different to those given for the same location on Google Earth. Does anyone know if google earth is accurate? I tried the location of a nearby cache using the coordinates given and Google Earth seems to be 100 yards or more out (ie in someones house) so I'm guessing it is wrong and my GPS is right. However, I have also noticed that the way the coordinates are displayed on my GPS is different - eg 51.35614 as opposed to Google earth which gives 8 digits - eg 51. 21.21.85.

I am assuming the coordinates given on mine just need a decimal point after the 4th digit but I am a bit confused and want to be sure of what I am doing before I find myself trespassing on private land.

Can anyone advise me on coordinates or point me in the direction of where to get this information?

Thanks

Having only recently become aware of geocaching I am keen to get started. At present I have a PDA based GPS which I hope will do for the time being but intend to buy a handheld when I know what I am doing.

The lat/long coordinates on my GPS are different to those given for the same location on Google Earth. Does anyone know if google earth is accurate? I tried the location of a nearby cache using the coordinates given and Google Earth seems to be 100 yards or more out (ie in someones house) so I'm guessing it is wrong and my GPS is right. However, I have also noticed that the way the coordinates are displayed on my GPS is different - eg 51.35614 as opposed to Google earth which gives 8 digits - eg 51. 21.21.85.

I am assuming the coordinates given on mine just need a decimal point after the 4th digit but I am a bit confused and want to be sure of what I am doing before I find myself trespassing on private land.

Can anyone advise me on coordinates or point me in the direction of where to get this information?

Thanks

[update - I think I've worked it out now - it's all about degrees and minutes and seconds. I think my GPS shows it in the wrong format therefore I assume it will be unsuitable for geocaching. Has anyone else had this problem?]

Edited by whitecamel

Is there a way that you can change the coordinate system in your GPS?

For geocaching Lat/Lon (DEG.MIN.MMM)

The map dataum is WSG84

What PDA/GPS are you using? not all PDA based GPS'rs may be suitable for geocacaching.

If you need a regular hand held GPS an entry level GPS like the Garmin e-trex whould be fine to get started, you can find them new for under $100.00, I would think you could find a used for for a little over $50.00

Here is a google link you can try out google earth user guide It may or may not be helpful

Is there a way that you can change the coordinate system in your GPS?

For geocaching Lat/Lon (DEG.MIN.MMM)

The map dataum is WSG84

What PDA/GPS are you using? not all PDA based GPS'rs may be suitable for geocacaching.

If you need a regular hand held GPS an entry level GPS like the Garmin e-trex whould be fine to get started, you can find them new for under $100.00, I would think you could find a used for for a little over $50.00

Here is a google link you can try out google earth user guide It may or may not be helpful

Thanks Johnny - I am using Destinator on my PDA. I think you are spot on and your advice is appreciated.

Mike

You can also change the default coordinates in Google Earth to the ones scene on geocaching.com.

Here is how:

1) On the menu bar click on tools and open the options setting.

2) This will open a new window. Click on the 3D view tab.

3) In the show lat/lon option, choose Degrees, Decimal Minutes.

4) Select Apply and you are done.

Doing this will give you the coordinates that geocaching.com shows. It is also easier when entering coordinates to see where the caches might be.