Map Authoring

markmwv

Hello everyone. Well I've been a Colorado 300 owner for awhile now and I can't wait on Garmin any longer. So I've decide to learn to make my own maps so that i can actually see more than 1 track at a time.

I've been reading up on this forum as well as others for 3 days now. I have acquired every program suggested and I've attempted to follow the instructions laid out on the following website by someone named cypherman1. ( I hope this doesn't break any rules, lol)

http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forum/index...showtopic=79939

The process uses

GPSMapEdit

cGPSMapper

GenTyp

MapSetToolKit

What I'm wanting to do is make a transparent map that will include all the tracks in a given area that we ride on with ATV's. the irst area I need to do contains 105 tracks and about 75 waypoints.

I was able to use the procedure following along with the video tutorial until I came to using GenTyp. Some of the windows in this program were blank and I cant input the necessary info. So I'm stuck at this point until I find out how to fix my problem.

I really appreciate the hard work that goes in to making these apps and the help from those that know because I don't know squat about making programs but can only benefit from them. lol

My system specs are

Colorado 300

Mapsource Trip and Wayppoint Manager

Mapsource City Select North America v7

Windows XP SP2

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions,

Mark

Personally, I would skip the Gentyp part of the process. There is no "need" for custom line colours. The newest firmware for the CO has trails showing up really well on the display. I'm an "expert" and I find Gentyp a confusing program.....

Just make a map in GPSMapedit, compile to IMG format with cGpsmapper, put into Mapsource with Mapsettollkit and then put on the unit and enjoy.

markmwv

I've made several custom maps for several ATV areas sometimes using my own tracks, some from using other individual's tracks, some from Google Earth tracing trails, and some from scanning paper maps and overlaying in Google Earth tracing the trails on paper maps in GE. The areas I have done are Windrock in TN, Elliot Lake ATV trails in Elliot Lake, Ontario, Canada, Moccassin Gap Horse & ATV trails in AR, Paiute in UT, some in Moab, UT, all the trails on and around the Alpine Loop in CO including Silverton, Ouray, and Lake City and all the ATV trails in Taylor Park, CO.

I use the GenTYP utility to color code all of my trails by the trail difficulty if it is known. The GenTyp utility is a little confusing at first, but isn't all that hard after the first time. Once you create the typ. file once you don't ever have to do anything else with it unless you are wanting to create a new style for a trail. It really allows an easy way to customize everything from width of trail, to color, to creating your own shape for the trail (dotted, dashed etc.) I did rewrite cypherman's instructions making them a little easier to follow. You'll also find my instructions on his website for the making of the custom maps.

I am always more than willing to share custom maps and try to help others during the learning proces with those who are also willing to exchange information. Gathering the tracks is the hardest part and you already have that completed. Needless to say, I am constantly learning new things myself from other forum members who have been most helpful to me. I'll be glad to send you a more detailed set of instructions if you would like.

Red90

I'm from Elkview, WV. Just east of Charleston. Plenty of mountains to run here.

I'd be glad to skip the GenTyp process. Didn't know I could till now. lol

Seeing each trail I load onto the CO was never a problem. I could see them just fine. I just couldn't load more than 1 at a time.

Intolerable

I'll be sure to chk them out as well. Thanks

eaparks

I don't think I created a typ. file with the process I was using. Is that something that I need to use the GenTyp app? I think that it would be beneficial to use the app at some point after I understand how to use everything else and become proficient at map making. I would definitely like to read and follow your instructions. I appreciate you making that available. I also would be glad to share any of my saved files for anyone that may want them. I'll send you my email via pm if you want to send the info that way.

Thanks for info. Keep it coming

Mark

Mark - 12 months ago I was at the stage you're at with map making. I didn't even know GenTYP existed and I just converted my tracklogs to "roads" using standard Mapsource road symbols. That's OK at first but you'll find it confusing trying to differente between Mapsource features and your custom trails.

When I heard about GenTYP, I knew it was the way to go as I wanted my trails to display differently. Cypherman's instructions are OK but it still took a bit of effort to get my first TYP file to work. Now, I just modify a previous one and it's real easy. More descriptive instructions would definitely be helpful. I'll probably write some when I get time.

When you are ready to start with GenTYP, I'd suggest you do not try to make custom graphics. I use a 2 pixel wide track with 1 pixel borders and use vaious colour combinations to denote trails types - white/red for snowmobile, brown/green for ATV, green/red for dualsport bike trails, and black/white for single-track dirtbike trails.

If you need help getting started just post your questions or PM me.

Bob