oregon 400t battery life

snake428

Took my gps out yesterday for the first real cache trip with it and was sadly dissapointed in the battery life. Now I know these are bad for battery life as is does not help you need the backlight up at full light to see the screen. My questions are does anyone have any hints as far as extending it at all such as things to turn off or settings to change? When I turn it in to battery saver mode with the track log still log where I am at so I can get back? Last but not least the owners manual says use no less than 2500 mAh rechargables which is what I have, but is there anything larger out there and where? Thanks for all your help.

How long did you get on your batteries? Did you go until they cut off or did you judge it by the battery meter?

I ask because I did a couple of tests with my Oregon 300 using Duracell Rechargeables (2650 mAh. I had the backlit set to always on and 3 clicks from the brightest. I had the Electronic Compass turned off. The first test was with 2-3 year old batteries. After 3 hours, I only had 1 bar on the meter. At 11 hours in, it gave me the low battery warning and then took 3 more hours before it stopped ... total of 14 hours. Then I tested with a new set of rechargeables that had been chared for the 1st time. Those batteries went immediately to 2 bars and then 1 bar after 6 hours. At the 9 1/2 hour mark, I got the low battery warning. Then it stopped at 10 hours. I haven't done any more tests yet, but I know from these two that I don't trust the battery meter. I'll change my batteries when the low battery warning comes up!

JetSkier

Well that is a VERY good point I guess I was trusting the battery meter and did not wait for it to die or give me a low battery warning. Will it beep when the low battery warning comes up? I do alot of deep woods hikes and don't want to lose my track logs so I know where I was and how to get back.

Well that is a VERY good point I guess I was trusting the battery meter and did not wait for it to die or give me a low battery warning. Will it beep when the low battery warning comes up? I do alot of deep woods hikes and don't want to lose my track logs so I know where I was and how to get back.

Yes, just before it turns itself off it will beep and give you a warning. Just before that the one green bar turns to red. That is the time to change. I get 12-14 hours on the same set of Duracell rechargeable 2650 mah.

The meter is not very useful but once you get use to it you know what to expect. Same thing with very fast to 2 bars but stays there forever.