pocket queries

that show up in the ????-wpts file when I unzip the emailed results?

When I searched the forum I got results that indicated they are other waypoints related to the caches. And also one that suggested that file got emailed with this kind of language:

...-wpts.gpx: This additional GPX file contains supporting waypoints for your Pocket Query.

that show up in the ????-wpts file when I unzip the emailed results?

I checked several of your hides to see if you had ever added a visible additional waypoint. Found nothing. No parking areas, trailheads, gates, bridges, points of interest, etc.

These are the kinds of things you are getting coordinates of in the -wpts file.

I'm wondering about this also. One of my pocket queries for my town generated 190 caches, and a supplementary file with 31 additional waypoints. But when I click on Waypoint Manager on my GPSr, I get all kinds of strange waypoints labelled EE1JT7C, DD1JT7C, PA1TGTD and the like cluttering up my list of nearby waypoints. Is this what is supposed to happen with the supporting waypoints from a Pocket Query? In practice, how do you know what they are and how to use them, or are they somehow connected with their geocaches?

But when I click on Waypoint Manager on my GPSr, I get all kinds of strange waypoints labelled EE1JT7C, DD1JT7C, PA1TGTD and the like cluttering up my list of nearby waypoints. Is this what is supposed to happen with the supporting waypoints from a Pocket Query? In practice, how do you know what they are and how to use them, or are they somehow connected with their geocaches?

It all depends on how the person created the waypoints. The first two letters of a geocache are GC, followed by a series of alpha-numeric characters something like GC1A2B3. An example of a parking waypoint may be PK1A2B3, and a trail head might be TH1A2B3.

The alpha-numeric characters of the waypoint should be the same as the geocache. That's how them become connected to the geocache.

if you really want to see right away which waypoint is what and belongs to what cache on your GPSr, your best option is to run the file through some application which is able to change the names of those waypoints to something more meaningful, and/or change the description or the comment of it to include that info.

Edited by dfx