Theme Cach

Fin n Feather

I am putting together a cach of hand tied fishing flies for a theme cach, a fly swap idea. Will this have normal traffic just as other caches have or should I add a few normal do-dads to increase popularity? Question #2, would it be better to stash the cach at a fishing area or do you think it wouldn't matter?

Everything that furthers the theme of a theme cache is good so placing a swap-a-fly cache at a nice fishing spot is a good idea. If you know what type of fly works locally you might even help out a visitor.

A fisherman themed log book?

A few plastic fish in the cache for those who weren't so lucky with the flys.

A fisherman themed cache container?

Use your imagination and have fun!

Sounds like a great idea! You might want to check out a similar thread about a series related to coins:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=211781

I'd suggest that you be clear on your cache description page that the cache is there for everyone, but ask that they only take a fly if they have one or more to trade. Any other fish-related swag could be treated as any other tradeable (equal or better).

One other thought, just to be safe...have a specific container inside the cache to hold the flies as the hooks are sharp (hopefully :grin: ). A non-angler, or non-attentive cacher might just reach in and grab everything in sight. :ninja:

Sounds like a great idea! You might want to check out a similar thread about a series related to coins:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=211781

I'd suggest that you be clear on your cache description page that the cache is there for everyone, but ask that they only take a fly if they have one or more to trade. Any other fish-related swag could be treated as any other tradeable (equal or better).

One other thought, just to be safe...have a specific container inside the cache to hold the flies as the hooks are sharp (hopefully :grin: ). A non-angler, or non-attentive cacher might just reach in and grab everything in sight. :ninja:

OOOOOPPSSS! My bad. Upon further thought, fish hooks, even high-quality hand-tied flies, might be viewed as a violation of the TOU for Cache Contents:

"Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages."

While not explicity stated, and having been stuck more than a few times in my day, fish hooks might not be viewed as such a good idea after all. My new suggestion is to work with your Reviewer while developing this cache.

I still like the idea, and personally would appreciate such a cache, but better to check first.

Cheers!

Great ideas about the log & plastic fish. I have built a natural container to put the cach box in (rather not say any more :ninja: ) so I am having a good time with this. If I do this correctly an image of the fly containers that I will put inside the cach container inside the L---- will show up. They are a bit difficult to open. Pill containers are a good idea as well.

133044.jpg