Collecting Geocoins, etiquette?

spacejam1

If it is an activated, trackable coin you should keep it moving along. To remove it from circulation is considered stealing. Some coins however aren't trackable and are perfectly fine to keep. Just look for a tracking number on the coin. Look carefully, as it could be on the edge, or very small. If there is none, it's yours to collect or put in another cache or do whatever with.

Sometimes people will place unactivated, trackable coins in a cache. That is considered a gift and something you can collect, or activate yourself and send on its way.

Most honest people who collect geocoins get most of their coins by buying or trading for them. There is a large network of geocachers who do this. You can also find numerous coins on Ebay.

The easiest way to amass a large collection fairly quickly is to have your own geocoin made and trade it with others.

I have heard of people finding and collecting geocoins. I thought you were supposed to keep them moving along. What is the "rule" and is it possible and permissable to collect geocoins that you find. Just wondering....

Nope, geocoins placed by others and found in caches are meant to move from cache to cache (in whichever the owner specifies on the coin's tracking page). They should NOT be removed from cache circulation and kept permanently in your personal collection. If you want geocoins to keep, buy them yourself then it is up to you whether you release them into caches, or keep them in a permanent collection. You can still register these coins on geocaching.com. Some people do this, then allow others to "discover" them at event caches, etc.

What I like to do is buy identical geocoins in sets of two: One to release into geocaches, and one to keep in my permanent collection.

I have released a few coins, and found that they don't make it very long before someone keeps it. It is kinda a pain. I haven't tried in a few years, and maybe with the proliferation of coins out there, I may have better luck.

To re-agree, yea if it has a number and it is logged in the system, not just the cache, some get moved without being logged into the cache, move them on.