Etrex Legend vs Vista

ras_oscar

I'm considering a new GPS. I looked on Garmin's website and noticed the only difference between the color Etrex Legend and Vista is one has a "digital compass" and the other doesn't. The feature I'm looking for is bearing to target arrow and distance to target, which my present highway unit doesn't suport. Is bearing to target what they are calling digital compass or do both units provide an arrow showing the direction to target?

I'm considering a new GPS. I looked on Garmin's website and noticed the only difference between the color Etrex Legend and Vista is one has a "digital compass" and the other doesn't. The feature I'm looking for is bearing to target arrow and distance to target, which my present highway unit doesn't suport. Is bearing to target what they are calling digital compass or do both units provide an arrow showing the direction to target?

In order to get a bearing to target arrow and distance, you're going to need a digital compass unless you are moving. If you plan on getting a bearing while standing in one place and having an arrow appear on your GPS showing you the correct direction to look, get the Vista HCx. The Legend will require you to be moving and hence the arrow will have the usual "GPS swings". The Vista compass is a true compass and will function while you are standing in one place. It does not depend on your movement and the GPS circuitry to convert that movement into a pseudo compass.

Ok thanks. another question regarding the same unit. If i do not purchase extra maps, what exactly is included with the unit? A blank screen with a blip and a pointer?

If I download waypoints are they stored in the unit or on the SD card?

Are purchased maps stored in the unit or on the SD card?

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

1. Base map is included. Basicly Interstates and US highways

2. Either - Your choice

3. Either- Your choice

Numerous post comparing these 2 units on this Forum...Try a search for Vista or Legend or Legend HCx or Vista HCx

Like previously said...Only difference is the Altimeter and Compass. If your short on cash go with the Legend HCx...If you dont care to spend the extra $50 -$100 get the Vista HCx. There is a post on here a page or 2 back discussing drift with the Vista HCx. Not sure if that issue is resolved yet or not, I havent checked the post in a week or 2. Might want to consider that into your decision as well...

Edited by WVski