Apple Mac, Geocaching.com & Google Earth

SD Marc

If I upgrade my membership, is there a way for a Mac user to interface Garmin data with Google Earth? I use it now to look at and choose caches, but I understand it's possible to overlay tracks etc in Google Earth. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

I have a 60CSx, an Intel iMac, ALL of Garmin's Mac software, and a USB connection. Topo US to arrive any time.

If I upgrade my membership, is there a way for a Mac user to interface Garmin data with Google Earth? I use it now to look at and choose caches, but I understand it's possible to overlay tracks etc in Google Earth. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

I have a 60CSx, an Intel iMac, ALL of Garmin's Mac software, and a USB connection. Topo US to arrive any time.

I do it all the time from a G5 Mac desktop and a newer "Intel" Mac laptop.

That's good news, but do you mind explaining the process? I assume it's with GPX files, but how do you use them to overlay Google Earth?

That's good news, but do you mind explaining the process? I assume it's with GPX files, but how do you use them to overlay Google Earth?

Just open your .gpx files with Google Earth.

Ok, all my waypoints come in, in fact EVERY waypoint came in, but tracks aren't showing up. I saw a track flash briefly on then off, but I can't get a track to just show. It even looks like the "bread crumbs" imported.

Ok, all my waypoints come in, in fact EVERY waypoint came in, but tracks aren't showing up. I saw a track flash briefly on then off, but I can't get a track to just show. It even looks like the "bread crumbs" imported.

The way I do it is I use GPS Babel and set the input coming from the Garmin GPS. On the Output I ask GPS Babel to output the file as a KML (I don't remember right this minute what the initials stand for but it is a preferred Google Earth format file). Once the file is converted by GPS Babel just double click on it and it will show up on Google Earth. At least that's the way I do it with my Paragliding tracks using a GPSMAP 60CSX.

Hope it helps...

Edited by tgfoyl1472

Well, whatever was in your GPX is there, sounds like a lot of waypoints and tracks. The tracks are time stamped, so you would need to adjust the timeline to see a track for that time. Or adjust the view in the timeline to show what range you want.

Edited by coggins

Well, whatever was in your GPX is there, sounds like a lot of waypoints and tracks. The tracks are time stamped, so you would need to adjust the timeline to see a track for that time. Or adjust the view in the timeline to show what range you want.

Excellent, thank you all, I slid the time line back to the date of the hike, and there it is.

If the Oregon works the same way as the Colorado, all the tracks, waypoints and routes are in a single GPX file (current.gpx). The checkboxes on GPSBabel don't actually filter these (I think it only does it when using the older communcation method with other Garmin GPS units).

What I do is run the GPX file through GPSBabel first. I set it to read the current.gpx file as input, setting the input and output file format to GPX XML, and write the output file to my hard drive. It's then a fairly easy process to open the resulting GPX file in a text editor and separate out the bits I need. Tracks begin with <trk>, waypoints begin with <wpt> and routes begin with <rte>.

I run it through GPSBabel because the GPX file on the Colorado has all the XML on one line, which isn't easy to edit. GPSBabel reformats the XML and makes it easier to edit.

Another quirk of the Colorado (and probably the Oregon) is that if you turn tracking off and back on again, there's no guarantee that it will start a new track in the GPX file. I used to use this technique with my 76CSx to split tracks up while on the ground - for instance when I stop walking and get into my car. Sometimes the Colorado will continue the same track in the GPX file and sometimes it will start a new track.