What are the track limits on the Garmin Oregon?

m026186

Hello all,

I am looking for a bike-mountable gps unit to take with me for an extended bike tour (about 2 months) later this year. All its features make the Garmin Oregon series very intriguing (including the wireless connection to a hrm and cadence monitor), but I am concerned about the storage space for my tracks.

I would like to be able to save all my track data throughout the trip without the need to bring along a computer or upload my data at libraries. I have read that the listed 20 track limit does not exist. Is this the case if I manually save my daily tracks (I'll have 60-75 total)?

Also, I have read that no track data can be saved to the sd card. Is there a workaround? Is the only use for the sd card slot to store maps? Will I be able to load and store any data to the sd card during my trip?

Last, can anyone else with either more varied gps experience or who has ridden an extended bike tour provide any other recommendations for a gps unit to look into?

I am new to this forum and, although I tried to do a thorough search regarding this topic, if I missed a previous post I apologize for re-asking.

The limit on the number of tracks is unknown. There is a limit on the number of GPX files of 200. When you manully save a track, it creates a new file, so by that method, 200 would be a maximum. But on a computer, you can put multiple tracks into one file to get a higher number. Each track can be up to 10000 points.

You can put tracks on the card from a computer and they will be visible. You just can't do it on the unit.

You might want to look into the 60Cx or 60CSx.

Yes, but the 60CSX has comparatively strict limits on tracks. With the 60CSX you can get a maximum of 20 tracks with a maximum 500 trackpoints each. If you have a track that's longer it will get truncated and you loose detail. 20 truncated tracks with the 60CSX or virtually unlimited tracks with the Oregon. Redwoods is right about screen brightness and bikers. Tradeoffs; the perfect GPS will never exist.

Yes, but the 60CSX has comparatively strict limits on tracks. With the 60CSX you can get a maximum of 20 tracks with a maximum 500 trackpoints each. If you have a track that's longer it will get truncated and you loose detail. 20 truncated tracks with the 60CSX or virtually unlimited tracks with the Oregon. Redwoods is right about screen brightness and bikers. Tradeoffs; the perfect GPS will never exist.

If you have an microSD card in the 60CSx, it will save the track log to the card using a new file name for each day. I don't think there is a 20 track limit for that. You are only restricted by the amount of space on the card.

If you have an microSD card in the 60CSx, it will save the track log to the card using a new file name for each day. I don't think there is a 20 track limit for that. You are only restricted by the amount of space on the card.

Yes, but they can not be used on the unit. The OP wants to use them on the unit. With the Oregon, you can have unlimited (limit unknown) 10000 point tracks and use them all on the unit. The 20/500 limit is for all intents and purposes next to useless.

Yes, but they can not be used on the unit. The OP wants to use them on the unit. With the Oregon, you can have unlimited (limit unknown) 10000 point tracks and use them all on the unit. The 20/500 limit is for all intents and purposes next to useless.

The way I read the OP is he just wants to save the tracks as a record of his trip; not use the tracks while on his trip.

I mounted my Colorado on my handlebars and used it outside. The screen was quite readable.

I did too but couldn't see squat. I'm guessing that either your eyes are a lot better than mine or you haven't used a color eTrex/60/76 that way before.

With all due respect, I've never seen any colour handheld that is viewable while riding a bike off road. I've tried using a 60csx extensively mountain biking and it is unreadable most of the time.