Garmin Colorado New Bug?

qlenfg

Went caching yesterday and discovered what may be a new bug on the latest Colorado firmware.

Fired up the GPS, switched to my on-road caching profile and pulled up the list of caches. The cache I wanted to go to was a ways off, so not wanting to scroll through a huge list, I used the search function. The cache name was Driving Miss Tandy, so I entered DR and clicked done. I selected the cache from the shortened list, the GPS generated the route, and off we went.

On the way there, I cancelled the routing so we could hit a couple of caches on the way. Pulled up the cache list, and it showed the nearest caches. Selected the first cache, found it, and logged the find. I selected DONE instead of find next nearest cache, but the cache list came up with *only* the closest caches containing DR in the name. They were sorted in distance though.

Exited the list, went back to the map, then selected geocaches again. The list repopulated with the correct caches sorted by distance. Selected another cache, found the cache, logged the find, selected DONE again and got the same list of caches containing DR in the name. The unit did the same thing after every cache.

Unfortunately, I did not try the find next nearest option to see if it behaved properly. I have also not tried to recreate the problem after the GPS was turned off and back on.

Anyone else seen this?

This has happened to me every time I used the "Spell" option on my Colorado 300. I never took the time to figure out exactly what the pattern was, to report it to Garmin but it has happened every time I used that option. I checked with some Oregon users and they don't have this same problem, so it looks to be a Colorado specific issue... Maybe I will finally figure all the details out and go report this to Garmin...

I have seen the problem too, though I don't think that it is a new problem. What I have found is that when you are at the condition, select spell, and you will see that what you had entered last time is still there. Delete the characters (using the << character) and then select Done. The full list will then reappear.

I guess one could claim it was a feature, though I have never found it to be helpful myself.

Not sure if this is new in 2.9 but I can reproduce it like this:

1) Shortcuts>Geocaches>Options>Spell and spell a partial name to filter the list

2) Select a geocache

3) Options>Go to Location

4) Shortcuts>Geocaches (note at this point the geocache list is not filtered by the spelling filter) and select a different Geocache

5) Options>Log Attempt>Found>Done

Note that the Geocache list IS filtered at this point by the spelling done in part 1. Definitely a bug, and a strange one given that the geocache list wasn't filtered in steup 4.

I tried in Automotive and Geocaching mode and it behaved the same way.

Not sure if this is new in 2.9 but I can reproduce it like this:

1) Shortcuts>Geocaches>Options>Spell and spell a partial name to filter the list

2) Select a geocache

3) Options>Go to Location

4) Shortcuts>Geocaches (note at this point the geocache list is not filtered by the spelling filter) and select a different Geocache

5) Options>Log Attempt>Found>Done

Note that the Geocache list IS filtered at this point by the spelling done in part 1. Definitely a bug, and a strange one given that the geocache list wasn't filtered in steup 4.

I tried in Automotive and Geocaching mode and it behaved the same way.

Similar to what I did to make it happen. When you find a cache, log it as found, then select DONE, it pulls up the list of closest caches filtered by the previous SPELL function.

I suspect, as long as you keep the unit on, the events leading up to using the spelling and anything you do before logging a cache as found and selecting DONE probably have no bearing on reproducing the issue.