Unlock codes for Garmin maps

BlueDamsel

Does anyone know if the one-unlock-code-per-copy issue with the latest release of the Garmin North America map is a DVD issue only, or is it also a problem with the SD card version of the mapping software, i.e., if I buy a SD card map, can I unplug the card from one unit, and put it in another, without having to worry about unlock codes as happens on the DVD map software?

I am asking since if there is a difference, this will determine which media I buy.

I have 3 GPS devices, and would like to be able to transfer the maps between them.

Thanks

For anyone who has used both, is there an advantage to having it on the computer vs. a plug-and-play SD card only on the gpsr?

I have a Mac, so the DVD, i.e, computer-based files become a bit more problematic if the vendor doesn't offer it in a Mac version as well as PC version (I have checked Garmin's website and they list Mac system requirements for the DVD, so I'm assuming it works as well there as on a PC, but, sometimes with a Mac you never know just how much until you try and use it).

If there is some worthwhile functionality gained by having it computer-based vs on a plug-and-play SD card, then I would consider the DVD for sure.

Otherwise, it's easier to just get the card and bypass the Mac altogether.

Any input?

For anyone who has used both, is there an advantage to having it on the computer vs. a plug-and-play SD card only on the gpsr?

I have a Mac, so the DVD, i.e, computer-based files become a bit more problematic if the vendor doesn't offer it in a Mac version as well as PC version (I have checked Garmin's website and they list Mac system requirements for the DVD, so I'm assuming it works as well there as on a PC, but, sometimes with a Mac you never know just how much until you try and use it).

If there is some worthwhile functionality gained by having it computer-based vs on a plug-and-play SD card, then I would consider the DVD for sure.

Otherwise, it's easier to just get the card and bypass the Mac altogether.

Any input?

With the card, you're stuck with just that mapset. With maps on DVD, you can combine maps from different sources (City Navigator and Topo, for example).

With the microSD preloaded cards, can you store a continuous tracklog and custom POIs on the card? Or are the preloaded cards read-only and nothing else can go on them?

Hmm, answering my own post. Ha. I emailed Garmin this same question, and was told that you can't load anything extra on the preloaded map cards. Thus, if you want to store a tracklog, or cutom POIs on the preloaded card, you're out of luck.

The other thing is that on a blank SD card, you can have multiple mapsets, tracks, custom POIs, etc... With pre-programmed card, you can only use those maps and nothiong else can go on the card.

That's not quite true. In addition to the pre programmed map I also have photos and logs. I have also found that you can make a copy of the map on the card and reinstall it on the same card if it gets corrupted. You just have to copy it back to the same card. The copy protection is on the card and map both. They have to be used together in order to work.