Data Cable for Garmin Etrex

KIESO

My two boys recieved a Garmin Etrex (the one the Garmin Web site is discontinued). Now I need some help from someone, My family is new to the Geocaching. I want to use this GPS reciever first to understand geocaching before upgrading. and am finding out that I think I need to get a data interface cable. Dos anyone out thereknow where I can obtain one other than the Garmin web site. The one Garmin sells is for hardwiring into another device. looking for one with a USB on the one end.

My two boys recieved a Garmin Etrex (the one the Garmin Web site is discontinued). Now I need some help from someone, My family is new to the Geocaching. I want to use this GPS reciever first to understand geocaching before upgrading. and am finding out that I think I need to get a data interface cable. Dos anyone out thereknow where I can obtain one other than the Garmin web site. The one Garmin sells is for hardwiring into another device. looking for one with a USB on the one end.

A data cable and the ability to auto load info to your GPS is great. But, it seems you are just getting started (no logged finds to this account). For now just manually enter (MARK) a few local caches into the GPS and go find them. No cable needed for that.

I have the Etrex Vista and Etrex Vista HCX. Both use different kind of data cables. My old school Vista came with the serial port end and slot type connector. I take it you have the old school Etrex and are wanting one that connects to your USB instead of the serial port, and there happens to be a few on Ebay as I speak. There is one for $14.99 buy it now price.Ebay cable link for Etrex

The newer style of Etrex like the Vista HCX uses the USB to mini USB data interface cable which is also the same cable for my Canon digital camera's. This style of cable is very universal compared to the older style cables. Good Luck! :blink:

I bought a yellow etrex 2.5 years ago. The data cable is serial only (you need a serial port or an adapter).

I use very rarely the cable (only to download manually entered waypoints, once every blue moon). Even when geocaching, I enter the waypoints manually.

Field testing the GPSr: Go out and mark the coordinates in front of your house. Go to a park, and mark the coordinates of the car. Go inside the park, and mark some landmarks (bench, fountain, statue, tree, etc). Now try to "find" those landmarks by hitting "goto $waypoint". Try finding the car. Driving is trickier, but one of the boys can use the GPSr and give directions while you're driving. You are now ready for your first geocache hunt.

Edit the coordinates of a waypoint to match those of the geocache you want to hunt (it takes 1-2 minutes to set and verify the coordinates), then go find it! Your first geocaches should be ones with a larger container and a lower difficulty.

After a few days, you can decide if you'll stick with the etrex (with or without a data cable), or upgrade to a model with more features.

Welcome to Geocaching, you and your boys will have a great time I’m sure. And all the above replies are excellent.

But let’s start a little further back, you mention you are new to this game (I’ve only been in it 6 months myself with the exact same model as you have) so one of the best places I went for gps training was the web.

I’d suggest http://geocacher-u.com and look for “Geocaching 101 & 201”, these will explain many functions of the gps as well as of the game itself. Also U-Tube and of course this site and its forums will help too.

You inquire about data interface cable, be careful in choosing there are many different types, Your Xtrex will take a PC Interface cable – 010-10206-00 which if you google any stores that sell gps’s they should have them, also there is ebay but again be careful because some sell bare wiring (one end has no connector). Once you’ve gotten PCIC it will only connect to a serial port and if you’re like me, would rather have it connected to a convenient usb port. To do that you will have to purchase an adapter, I got mine thru Radioshack here in Canada, I’m sure you can find one close to where you live. If you go this route remember to download Garmin’s Communicator Plugin so that the PC and you Xtrex understand each other.

Then have some fun, it is true, look first for the easiest of finds, larger caches (micro’s and nano’s can frustrate you quickly at first, even later) with easy terrain and difficulty factors.

Happy hunting and Season Greetings.