Magellan Explorist 500 Geocaching Problem

jwo1214

Having a problem with my Magellan Explorist 500 displaying my geocaches. I load my geocahing files just as always (not doing anything new or different) but my unit will not display the geocaches on my map. I made sure that I have not turned off the feature to show geocaches. It's not turned off, that was the first thing I checked. The files are loaded, that was the second thing I checked. I store all my geochacing files on my SD card, and when I navigate within the GPS, it shows the files on the card. But when I go to the file within the GPS, it does not show any geocaches. It's acting as if the file is empty, but I know it's not because I can check the file on my computer and it has the geocaches in it. So the second thing I thought to check, maybe the SD card had a problem. I loaded the geocache file to the internal memory of the GPS, and still same problem. It acts as if there is no information in the file.

Anybody had any similiar issue with Explorist as this? Is there something remotely simple I have overlooked? I have contacted Magellan tech support by email, but have yet to get a reply. If I have to replace my unit, I'm thinking about going with another brand since Magellan doesn't seem to want to help me. Anyone got any suggestions on GPS units for geocaching?

Having a problem with my Magellan Explorist 500 displaying my geocaches. I load my geocahing files just as always (not doing anything new or different) but my unit will not display the geocaches on my map. I made sure that I have not turned off the feature to show geocaches. It's not turned off, that was the first thing I checked. The files are loaded, that was the second thing I checked. I store all my geochacing files on my SD card, and when I navigate within the GPS, it shows the files on the card. But when I go to the file within the GPS, it does not show any geocaches. It's acting as if the file is empty, but I know it's not because I can check the file on my computer and it has the geocaches in it. So the second thing I thought to check, maybe the SD card had a problem. I loaded the geocache file to the internal memory of the GPS, and still same problem. It acts as if there is no information in the file.

Anybody had any similiar issue with Explorist as this? Is there something remotely simple I have overlooked? I have contacted Magellan tech support by email, but have yet to get a reply. If I have to replace my unit, I'm thinking about going with another brand since Magellan doesn't seem to want to help me. Anyone got any suggestions on GPS units for geocaching?

I used to own an Explorist 500 and as I recall there is an option to turn on POI's somewhere in the menu. Have you done that? Go through all the menus and check each one for some detail you may have missed.

A point of clarification, please. When you press GOTO/Geocache Pts/Position, does the next screen show the list of geocaches that you are expecting? If it DOES NOT, then you need to set your default by pressing Menu/Active Map/Geocaches to the file containing the geocaches. Sorry if this is a waste of bandwidth, but that's all I can think of.

On your poi screen, when you pick from the choices of My poi's, geocache pts or background maps, pick geocache pt. Before you pick this choice though, go to the bottom of the screen and move the joystick left or right to highlite "nearest". Then pick "position". This puts the geocache icon on the map screen on my Magellan explorist 500.

Edited by tomwilson74

On your poi screen, when you pick from the choices of My poi's, geocache pts or background maps, pick geocache pt. Before you pick this choice though, go to the bottom of the screen and move the joystick left or right to highlite "nearest". Then pick "position". This puts the geocache icon on the map screen on my Magellan explorist 500.

Thanks tomwilson74, I got my geocache icons back!!!