Showing the time on an Oregon 400t

MikeIOM

Hi

I've recently purchased an Oregon 400t (European version) for use with geocoding my photos.

It seems to generally work well for me, except I can't find a way of displaying the accurate time.

The best I can get is showing hh:mm in the Trip Computer section where as what I'd ideally like is hh:mm:ss so I can sync my camera time to it, or at least work out an accurate time offset to compensate for.

Thanks for any suggestions

Mike

Tap the satellite icon to bring up the satellite page.

I don't see a satellite icon anywhere. There is a signal strength type icon on the main display but that just shows a bar graph of satellite signal strength and an idea of where the satellites are around me

when you set up the time from the main menu did you go through "setup" or "trip computer"?

I went through setup, but looking at the menu option again for time I have

Time format - 12 hour or 24 hour

Time zone - US Pacific / Vladivostok / Windhoek / Automatic (an odd set of choices!)

Mine is currently set for automatic - I'm GMT 0 where I live

Tap the satellite icon to bring up the satellite page.

Uh, that doesn't show the time on my Oregon 300.

This is what I do to synchronize the camera to the GPS clock when I want to geotag photos:

When the GPS clock advances one minute, I set the camera clock to the correct time. That procedure turns out to be pretty accurate.

The only way to get seconds shown on the time is to go to the diagnostics page.... select the Satellite page, then hold the top left of the screen down until the (initially) non-backlit page pops up.

The only issue with this page is that you will need to shut the GPSr off to get out of this page and return to normal.

It's about the only way i know for geo-encoding the images with the tracklog accurately on the Oregon at this stage. (highly required in some cases)

mm

This is what I do to synchronize the camera to the GPS clock when I want to geotag photos:

When the GPS clock advances one minute, I set the camera clock to the correct time. That procedure turns out to be pretty accurate.

Ooops, brain fart. I meant the backlight screen, but I guess that does not have seconds.

At the moment have a clock that gets the time from the atomic clock at Rugby in the UK and I've found that syncing the camera time with that seem to work OK as the time agrees with the GPS time.

I suppose the only issue I will have is when the camera time drifts when I'm away from home, e.g, when I spent 3 weeks doing Route 66 this year, but I guess I can use the minute change over on the GPS clock to re sync the camera

I had hoped to be able to do the old "take a photo of the GPS hh:mm:ss" trick to enable accurate syncs between the camera and GPS track log but I guess it's not to be.

It does seem a little odd for a £300 GPS

BTW - Amazon UK advertises the unit as having tide tables, but I can't find that anywhere. Are they mistaken, or am I missing something obvious?

At the moment have a clock that gets the time from the atomic clock at Rugby in the UK and I've found that syncing the camera time with that seem to work OK as the time agrees with the GPS time.

I suppose the only issue I will have is when the camera time drifts when I'm away from home, e.g, when I spent 3 weeks doing Route 66 this year, but I guess I can use the minute change over on the GPS clock to re sync the camera

I had hoped to be able to do the old "take a photo of the GPS hh:mm:ss" trick to enable accurate syncs between the camera and GPS track log but I guess it's not to be.

It does seem a little odd for a £300 GPS

BTW - Amazon UK advertises the unit as having tide tables, but I can't find that anywhere. Are they mistaken, or am I missing something obvious?

The only way to get seconds shown on the time is to go to the diagnostics page.... select the Satellite page, then hold the top left of the screen down until the (initially) non-backlit page pops up.

Thank you.

Yes, thanks - I've just tried that now I'm home and it's handy to know.