Geocache got me to the ER!

It was a difficult find because I had to climb 4 waterfalls, slippery wall rocks and swim holding my gps,shoes and camera up with one arm in freezing water but finally found it. When going back, I was climbing down one of the rocky slippery walls and I felt fast on the last 8 feet and my fingers(2) got stuck in the rope and took all the impact. I thought I broke 2 fingers and I went to the MMMC(Maui Hospital) and had X-RAYS done! I've never been to the ER in my life, before this incidence! :rolleyes:

Have you been to the ER for a Geocaching incidence?

In the OP's defense, mine may be waterproof (Garming 60Cx), but I'd still go with the age-old theory of "why take chances".

Personally, I'd have triple ziplock-bagged all of my stuff and had that in a slim backpack (perhaps a camelback, so you have clean water... or failing that fill it with air for extra buoyancy).

And back to the OP's initial post... ouch! So... WERE the fingers broken, or just sprained or something?

Edited by Kabuthunk

It was a difficult find because I had to climb 4 waterfalls, slippery wall rocks and swim holding my gps,shoes and camera up with one arm in freezing water but finally found it.

Sounds like a cool cache.

I have had to go to the ER twice from caching and both times I have managed to end up right back in the woods after being discharged.

I am also overly cautious with my GPS even though it should be waterproof. It took a nasty fall one of those times that resulted in a hospital visit and I had to snap the case back together. I am not sure that the waterproof seal lined up correctly after that so I always carry it above my head in something waterproof when swimming to a cache.

It is a 60CSx and I was always a bit surprised that even though they made it waterproof it still sinks. :D

- Rev Mike

I've been to the ER with a broken hand, but that wasn't geocaching related, it was more related to where the wall stud was in relation to my fist. I don't punch walls anymore.... Worst I've gotten injured while caching was some scratches from a blackberry bush, just a little bleeding is all.

It was a difficult find because I had to climb 4 waterfalls, slippery wall rocks and swim holding my gps,shoes and camera up with one arm in freezing water but finally found it.

Sounds like a cool cache.

I have had to go to the ER twice from caching and both times I have managed to end up right back in the woods after being discharged.

I am also overly cautious with my GPS even though it should be waterproof. It took a nasty fall one of those times that resulted in a hospital visit and I had to snap the case back together. I am not sure that the waterproof seal lined up correctly after that so I always carry it above my head in something waterproof when swimming to a cache.

It is a 60CSx and I was always a bit surprised that even though they made it waterproof it still sinks. :D

- Rev Mike

If you want a '60CSx that floats,' look no further than the Garmin GPSmap 76CSx. Same innards, flatter case, better button positioning that works better with gloved hands in my opinion, and IT FLOATS! :-)))

Only about twenty bucks more than the 60CSx at www.gpsnow.com (Great Online Garmin Dealer, I buy all my Garmin stuff from them).

Hope this helps.

Warm regards from,