Issue with Garmin 60csx or Memory chip?

nwgeogeeks

So it's happened to me twice... I'm out on the trail and my Garmin 60Cxs loses it's maps, CustomPOI, and waypoints that were on the memory chip...

After this happened again to me today I pulled the chip out (standard 64mb that comes with the unit) and it's empty except for the GPX file that was created for tracking although the data in the gpx file was only from the point after all the data on the memory chip was wiped... The lost of the memory happened today when I switched batteries... I powered on the unit with the new batteries and all was gone from the memory chip.

The other time it seemed to happen over night and lost everything then too.

Could this be a problem with the battery's dieing on me before I put new one's in? Or could this be a faulty memory chip?

Any thoughts or suggestions???

I did re-format the chip on my computer tonight just in case that might help...

D...

So it's happened to me twice... I'm out on the trail and my Garmin 60Cxs loses it's maps, CustomPOI, and waypoints that were on the memory chip...

After this happened again to me today I pulled the chip out (standard 64mb that comes with the unit) and it's empty except for the GPX file that was created for tracking although the data in the gpx file was only from the point after all the data on the memory chip was wiped... The lost of the memory happened today when I switched batteries... I powered on the unit with the new batteries and all was gone from the memory chip.

Could this be a problem with the battery's dieing on me before I put new one's in? Or could this be a faulty memory chip?

D...

Hi, has the chip really croaked or has it dislodged? Patsu has the same unit and frequently he " loses " info. Turns out the card somehow migrates out of its nesting spot. ?? Do you have a migrating card perhaps.

D...

I've had this happen, but it was due to old firmware. I downloaded the update and it never happened again.

D...

Hi, has the chip really croaked or has it dislodged? Patsu has the same unit and frequently he " loses " info. Turns out the card somehow migrates out of its nesting spot. ?? Do you have a migrating card perhaps.

Same thing happened to me when the card became unlocked and disconnected--probably after a battery change. The metal sleeve the card sits in must be locked in place by pulling it with a fingernail towards the bottom end of the case--you'll feel a little detent when locked down.

Edited by bikercr

OK... To answer all the responses so far:

Chip Dislodged: I don't believe the issue was the chip dislodging because after getting home I pulled the chip out and connected with an adapter right to my USB port. What I found on the chip was one file which was a tracking file for all the waypoints from the point right after I lost all my maps and waypoints on the Unit. Unless the action of replacing the battery which may have dislodged the chip and connected it back up would cause the memory to lose the data?

@bikercr - You stated this happened to you with the chip being dislodged... Did you get your data back after connecting the chip back up or did you lose all the data on the chip like I did?

Old Firmware: So I used the WebUpdater supplied by Garmin when I first got the 60Csx about a month and a half ago. I also used the updater the other night to see if there have been any additional releases in the last month and it stated I had the most recent version. Is there another way I'm missing to find the firmware updates?

So I'm leaning (hopefully) to a bad memory chip as they are cheap as beauxp pointed out. I would rather that then the 60Cxs causing the chip to erase...

Battery Issue: One other thought to ask – I use rechargeable batteries (NiMH) could there be a problem with odd voltage causing the chip to erase?

Thanks for the help so far and anticipate more coming soon...

D...

Are you aware that the clip that holds the chip in place has to slide back to lock in? If you fail to do that, then you will have a poor connection between the chip and the contacts and that will generate the type of problem that you are seeing.

Also, when the clip is slipped back, then there should be no motion or vibration of the chip if you tap it. If the chip is loose after you slide the clip, then something is wrong with the clip.

You might also inspect the clip carefully to make sure it is not damaged (that can happen if you force it when the chip is not seated right).

Are you aware that the clip that holds the chip in place has to slide back to lock in? If you fail to do that, then you will have a poor connection between the chip and the contacts and that will generate the type of problem that you are seeing.

Also, when the clip is slipped back, then there should be no motion or vibration of the chip if you tap it. If the chip is loose after you slide the clip, then something is wrong with the clip.

You might also inspect the clip carefully to make sure it is not damaged (that can happen if you force it when the chip is not seated right).

Yes I am aware of the latch system for the chip on the unit... I can't say that I've been always 100% mindful to insure that I don't bump the chip while switching batteries thought. Something that I will definitely pay more attention to in the future for sure... Thanks for the feedback, although the first time this happened to me I was not as a result of changing the batteries...

D...