60csx calibrate compass every time you power up?

zedex

Hi. Do you guys with a CSX have to recalibrate your compass every time you power on? I do. Whats your experience?

Once a day (on days that I use it) or once per battery change. Those are usually the same thing. If I can't get the "hold level" warning to go off, that's usually a sign to recalibrate (and that the batteries are getting low).

My compass is turned off 99% of the time. (press and hold the page button to toggle on/off). It used to be that the electronic compass shortened the battery life. I don't know if that's true anymore. However, with it off, you don't have to worry about calibrating it. There are a few times when the e-c is helpful as when you're in heavy brush; on a steep hill; or other situation where you can't move in a straight line for the compass pointer to settle down. I believe the manual recommends recalibration when you change batteries.

It used to be that the electronic compass shortened the battery life. I don't know if that's true anymore.
Annoyedone in the 76C(S)x Yahoo group is an electrical engineer who designs electronic devices for a living. He made measurements of current draw with and without the electronic compass. Here is what he reported for the 76CSx. The numbers are one-minute averages.

GPS off, compass off: 36 mA

GPS off, compass on: 37 mA

These results are very different from the 76CS:

GPS off, compass off: 67 mA

GPS off, compass on:107 mA

The magnetic compass was a power hog in the non-x models. In the x models, it hardly makes a difference.

It used to be that the electronic compass shortened the battery life. I don't know if that's true anymore.
Annoyedone in the 76C(S)x Yahoo group is an electrical engineer who designs electronic devices for a living. He made measurements of current draw with and without the electronic compass. Here is what he reported for the 76CSx. The numbers are one-minute averages.

GPS off, compass off: 36 mA

GPS off, compass on: 37 mA

These results are very different from the 76CS:

GPS off, compass off: 67 mA

GPS off, compass on:107 mA

The magnetic compass was a power hog in the non-x models. In the x models, it hardly makes a difference.

Interesting figures; thanks for pointing them out. With my black/white Vista I could tell battery life shortened with the e-c on, but on my Vista HCx, the difference was not as perceptible. The Etrex' use the Mediatek chips as opposed to the SiRF chips of the CSx, but I suspect the figures are similar. This won't affect my practice of caching with the e-c off as I don't have to worry about calibrating except in "exigent" circumstances. :D