Getting Started

Team Area 51.1

You don't need a gpsr to play, but it makes life sooo much simpler. I found my first few caches with only a knowledge of the area and a google satelite map. "Oh, it's on the east side of the lake, in the middle of that side. There's a drainage whatsis over there, so that's where I'll start my search..." Back before the button was pushed, they taught us this stuff in high school earth science. Good luck out there!

Can anyone offer me any other tips, DOs and/or DON'Ts, for getting started? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Team Area 51.1

Stick with traditional caches that are regular sized or larger for your first few hunts. Stick with terrain 2.5 or less caches and difficulty 2 or less for those first few.

Don't depend too much on Arieal photos or Sat photos as in some areas those can be off by as much as a few hundred feet. Look on several maps to make sure you are at the right spot. Keep in mind the general accuracy of a GPS is around 20 - 25 feet - so you may have to expand your search radius.

Look for an unusual pile of: sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, branches, sand, etc. Look in hollow tree parts etc.

Think vertical - not all caches are on the grouhnd. Look for things that are not quite right. things that are too new, too old, too perfect. Look for shapes not found in nature - straight lines, circles, right angles. Think like a hider - where would you hide something?

Can anyone offer me any other tips, DOs and/or DON'Ts, for getting started? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Team Area 51.1

Stick with traditional caches that are regular sized or larger for your first few hunts. Stick with terrain 2.5 or less caches and difficulty 2 or less for those first few.

Don't depend too much on Arieal photos or Sat photos as in some areas those can be off by as much as a few hundred feet. Look on several maps to make sure you are at the right spot. Keep in mind the general accuracy of a GPS is around 20 - 25 feet - so you may have to expand your search radius.

Look for an unusual pile of: sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, branches, sand, etc. Look in hollow tree parts etc.

Think vertical - not all caches are on the grouhnd. Look for things that are not quite right. things that are too new, too old, too perfect. Look for shapes not found in nature - straight lines, circles, right angles. Think like a hider - where would you hide something?

Until you get a GPS you will find the urban caches easier to locate using the maps w/ sat image. They usually get you right in the area. The cache in the woods will be more difficult as there are fewer landmarks that you will be able to use. The photos are usually taken when there are few leaves on trees which may aid in finding landmarks or tree type to look for. As previously stated stick with the lower difficulty ratings and lok for the "orderly" placement of natural objects. The straight lines quote is a good one and works more often than you might think.

My team and I are new to caching recently. We have been on 2 cache hikes in the last 3 days and have had no success finding the booty. Is a GPS a must to participate in the action?

Thanks,

Team Area 51.1

WELCOME TO GEOCACHING!!!!!

It will definitely be a lot easier WITH a GPS than without. However, I've heard of some people racking up incredible find numbers without one!!!!

There are tons of resources on the net!!! GC.Com being the mother of all Geocaching sites, it's a great start.

By the way.... I LOVE YOUR TRAIL NAME!!!!! Very clever!!!!!!

http://www.glass-cockpit.org

http://grigoriirasputin.wordpress.com