Placing Caches with a Colorado

SimbaJamey

I have a Colorado300 and have had great luck finding caches with it. I started hiding them a couple of months ago and for the most part it seems to work pretty well.

However, this week I've gotten a complaint about my coordinates (from a previous finder on a cache). I was also told by a 60Csx owner that my #'s tend to be about 10' off.

I spend quite a bit of time trying to get them right so this is troubling to me.

Here's how I get the #'s that I post:

I mark at least 9 waypoints...3 where I leave the Colorado in one place (at the cache) and let it settle before marking the point. 3 where I walk at least 60' away, walk back to the cache and mark the point as soon as the GPSr is on top of it. Then I do another set of 3 similar to the last but I stop at the cache and wait 2 or 3 seconds for the Colorado to 'catch up' before marking the waypoint.

Then I go home, write down all the #'s and average them out the way Keystone described.

I thought I was getting them really close, of the ~60 logs on my caches, one has complimented the coordinates and none have complained (the one complaint was a note posted 2 weeks after the find and I'm pretty sure it was a personal issue with the finder, had 3 other cachers tell me I was within 10' on that one).

So....

Are you placing caches with a Colorado?

If so...what do you do to get your #'s as close as possible?

I'd HATE to think I'm making stuff that's hard to find and then not putting seekers in the exact right place to look for it.

If you're getting positions within 10 feet no one has a reason to make negative comments on the accuracy. Your method sounds just fine for establishing a good waypoint with your Colorado. If Garmin ever gets off their butt to add waypoint averaging we'll be a happy bunch of CO owners. In the mean time here is a terrific Wherigo Cartridge by Geofellas that acts as a waypoint averager. I've used it and love it.

If you are getting other users withing 10 feet of your cache you are doing exceptionally well. Considering that the best accuracy is 3 meters~9 feet and you are looking at two different units trying to reach the same spot on different days I would say that you have reached the limitations of a consumer grade GPS.

Now if several people tell you that you are 60 feet off, then go recheck your coordinates.

I think you are fine with your coordinates. I hate caches were the coordinates take me right to the cache.

The fun is in looking for it. Granted I don't want to be 100feet away. But +/- 10 feet is totally acceptable.

With the accuracy of the 60CSX, if the coordinates are dead on, it takes the fun out of it.