Cache Etiquette and Pins

Amano-san

Hi All!

We're fairly new to Geocaching, we have about a dozen finds under our belts. We have found a lot of non-trackable pins in caches, are these up for grabs like other non-trackable trade swag? Do most of the people who have the pins made leave them with the intent of them staying in the cache or to be collected by other pin-enthusiasts?

We would like to start a collection, but have been unsure about taking the pins.

Any guidance is much appreciated! :D

~Nathan of Team Amano-san.

Ya know I never turned in my newbie card, so I get to ask: What's a pin?

It's a pin like the Olympic pins or collectible pins.

Some geocachers design custom pins and have a bunch of them manufactured through various websites and then leave them in caches they discover. These are the pins I am asking about. I suppose I would make my own pin to leave in place.. that seems fair to me. I just don't want to take something that's meant to remain in the cache. :anibad:

Can't help you with the original question, but I admire your sensitivity as to correct protocol. If only we all were so thoughtful... thank you for asking first. :grin:

Thanks! :grin: We try. Especially when it's something custom made like that. But the more I thought about it the more I thought "that would be why I would leave them," but that perspective doesn't always hold up. :)

Signature items are treated as swag. Although, I haven't done so, some people do collect signature items. There have been some forum threads about it. If you want to trade for one, go ahead.

I think eventually, I would like to collect some, but just those that have been deposited in the caches I own.

Cool, thank you for the definitive answers fellow geocachers! I am going to design my own pin that way I am sure to be trading equally, and helping others with a collection to build.

Hi All!

We're fairly new to Geocaching, we have about a dozen finds under our belts. We have found a lot of non-trackable pins in caches, are these up for grabs like other non-trackable trade swag? Do most of the people who have the pins made leave them with the intent of them staying in the cache or to be collected by other pin-enthusiasts?

We would like to start a collection, but have been unsure about taking the pins.

Any guidance is much appreciated! :)

~Nathan of Team Amano-san.

Welcome to Geocaching and I will second the "thanks for asking" comment. There are more than one thing about the game that are not exactly intuitive. The main thing you look for on any pen, coin, etc. is a tracking number. If you see a tracking number you can find out more by entering it here. There are some occasions where people will leave a trackable as swag. In this case the traveler (word for a trackable item) will not have a web page or registered owner.

There's actually other trackables that are tracked in various way on third party web pages. One of the most popular of these types are Pathtags.. Another is Digitalfish.

There's folks over in the Travelers Forum that are also very helpful.