DeLorme PN-40 in California

I just wanted to let you know I have been using a production model of the PN-40 in Southern Cal this week and it has been invaluable.

Here's how I have been using it. First, I loaded some caches into Topo USA 7.0 software (which provides blended vector topo and street maps plus 4 million places of interest all in one and is included for no extra charge in the $399.95 price point). Then, I copied over some preplanned road routes for stops I needed to make.

I drove to my first stops and the routes were perfect. I just kept it on the dash and listened to it beeping when I approached any turns. I actually prefer this to a mounted solution as there really is no need for all that visual distraction and constant confirmation of the obvious -- and I'm from Maine and need to pay attention to all the road chaos in CA.

But I got stuck in a parking lot traffic jam in LA and just got off the road and pulled into a parking lot. I ran my first on-device route back to my hotel and it completed quickly and got me there even though I do not know the area to say whether it was the best way. But...it got me to my hotel.

So, confidence rising, I started doing other on-device routes the next day as well as back-on-track routes and I was really impressed with how well this compact outdoors GPS was getting me around a highly complex metro area. I stopped in LA and used the new FIND function with the four million POIs and found a nearby Subway. Then I wanted to visit a FRY's Electronics (God those stores are a techie's nirvana and I wish we had them back east) and the business and major shopping category found me one.

So I loaded up some hi-res imagery and NOAA charts from our Web site using the just released $29.95 all you can eat Map Library annual subscription and walked out onto the Santa Monica boardwalk switching among imagery, 7.5-minute quads, and NOAA charts. The guy playing the sax up the street was blown away when I showed him what I had in my hand and what I could do (although I was blown away by his playing too).

Next I went off to find some caches. The 800 characters on my device were plenty to find two and not find another micro cache. I imagine we'll have more than 800 characters early next year with a firmware update (btw this is Caleb writing, not Chip).

I really like the way I can slip the PN-40 into my pocket and use it in-car and then off-road. The size is great for one-handed use, the push button interface is easy to follow and responsive. I have an 8-GB SD card in this one and hope to try a 32-GB one when I get home.

I would not make this post here if I was not elated with the PN-40. Not everything we make or do is great...but this may be the best thing we've produced in many years. The imagery draws quickly...the newly indexed Find works well and fast...the screen is ideal in direct sunlight...and my battery life has been very good, best with e-lithiums and acceptable with regular AA's. I did not bring any NiMH with me to try.

We are leaving some stunning Eartha geocoins around the country as we travel so keep your eyes open.

I hope this first-hand account helps. It's my first time out with a production unit and it has come far and fast from my summertime beta unit.