what steps do you do take to find this point

you have a coordinate, its roughly a 3 mile hike to the cache, 3 in 3 back out ....

some of the info I would like to be able to view while on the hike is distance to the coordinate im heading to. The track to follow back to my starting point.

If you can list each step with the bare basics for this event, starting with powering the 60csx on. Will certainly get me started in understanding the unit. The reason is once I print the steps you suggest, and have them with me on the trail if there becomes an issue and I try to figure out the proper steps with the manual and dont quite get it, I could make the problem worse

MY other question is, for the same issue but on the water, if I make a track to a fishing hole, the next morning I know there will be a heavy fog, and I want to follow the track set the day b4 back to it, the track made the day b4 stirs me clear of all low water and trouble. So basically the next morning all I can see is the gps in my hand the fog is in too heavy to travel without knowing the track to follow.

this trip will be taken only at a no wake speed so my issue is not the danger side but just not going in circles and getting lost. one last question, the trip I will encounter several buoys marking the channel, that IM able to clear by more than 25 yards, is there a plus or minus on my bread crum trail.

so I would like to see on the screen my starting point the track to the destination, and know the distance to the spot.

IM going to print the direction you give me an hand this unit to a person who has never used the unit b4 so the small details are important too.....

I know many of you are so much farther along with the functions of these units, and pride yourselves with the self taught skills, I would hope you wont discourage those on here that take there time to respond and over look our inability to use the nice manuals provided, and help us enjoy the hobby

Edited by dalehollowlake

You should already have the instructions for the task you are seeking printed out. Not sure about your unit, but when I got my units (I own 5 GPSr's) they all came with an instruction booklet. It's a marvelous aid..

Basically what you want to do is put in the coordinates you are intending to hike/boat to, and have the unit show you the directions. Most units give distance to destination. Almost all hand held units have a backtrack feature. That can be used to get out tyhe same way you went in, and get you back to the same final destination numerous times (as long as you dont delete the backtrack, and start from the same point every time)

This is all valid if you have a hand held or portable unit..

You should already have the instructions for the task you are seeking printed out. Not sure about your unit, but when I got my units (I own 5 GPSr's) they all came with an instruction booklet. It's a marvelous aid..

Basically what you want to do is put in the coordinates you are intending to hike/boat to, and have the unit show you the directions. Most units give distance to destination. Almost all hand held units have a backtrack feature. That can be used to get out tyhe same way you went in, and get you back to the same final destination numerous times (as long as you dont delete the backtrack, and start from the same point every time)

This is all valid if you have a hand held or portable unit..

Hi, I do not know if this will help or not. If you are familiar with marking a waypoint this may be too basic and not what you want. Locate the MARK and Enter Buttons on your unit. Start at your launch point. Depress the mark waypoint button. THEN depress enter write down the co-ordinates you just marked. Motor to your first location in the channel and depress the mark button - followed by enter write down the co-ordinates. Proceed to the next location and repeat the mark / enter / write down sequence. Continue along the way to your destination. Marking / entering / writing down as you go along. When you get that all done I would retrace your route of travel to verify your accuracy. Once you have confirmed your accuracy you can then EDIT your waypoints. Go to Find which will lead you the waypoints you just marked. If you want you can edit each waypoint and give them names : Dock, Channel1, Green1, Red7, Mable, Glory or whatever works for you. Of course you can edit the name of the waypoints as you do each one, however, if you are techno challenged as I am it might be less stressful doing the editing at home where you have some time to sort it all out. I would suggest writing the waypoints down the first time or two until you get the hang of it. Also repeat your path a few times just to verify that you got it right. A digit or two could get you in deeeeeeep kimche. I was not paying attention one time and wound up 5 miles off.

you have a coordinate, its roughly a 3 mile hike to the cache, 3 in 3 back out ....

some of the info I would like to be able to view while on the hike is distance to the coordinate im heading to. The track to follow back to my starting point.

If you can list each step with the bare basics for this event, starting with powering the 60csx on. Will certainly get me started in understanding the unit. The reason is once I print the steps you suggest, and have them with me on the trail if there becomes an issue and I try to figure out the proper steps with the manual and dont quite get it, I could make the problem worse

MY other question is, for the same issue but on the water, if I make a track to a fishing hole, the next morning I know there will be a heavy fog, and I want to follow the track set the day b4 back to it, the track made the day b4 stirs me clear of all low water and trouble. So basically the next morning all I can see is the gps in my hand the fog is in too heavy to travel without knowing the track to follow.

this trip will be taken only at a no wake speed so my issue is not the danger side but just not going in circles and getting lost. one last question, the trip I will encounter several buoys marking the channel, that IM able to clear by more than 25 yards, is there a plus or minus on my bread crum trail.

so I would like to see on the screen my starting point the track to the destination, and know the distance to the spot.

IM going to print the direction you give me an hand this unit to a person who has never used the unit b4 so the small details are important too.....

I know many of you are so much farther along with the functions of these units, and pride yourselves with the self taught skills, I would hope you wont discourage those on here that take there time to respond and over look our inability to use the nice manuals provided, and help us enjoy the hobby

Whoa. Wow. You're setting yourself up for trouble. You need to learn to trust the unit before you put yourself in any kind of risky situation. You can't just hand a GPS to a novice and expect them to follow directions to keep out of trouble. Practical practice with the receiver is critical to knowing what it does in different situations and critical to know how much to trust it in those given situations. There have been real stories of people going out in the woods and getting lost with the GPS in hand! Don't add to the statistics.

Start small, start close to home and start in a safe environment and learn. You'll do best to go to your local forum and see if there is someone local to you that can help you figure it out. Hands on experience will teach you more than anything anybody can write here.

Edited by TotemLake

I agree with the last post. Baby steps. Take the GPS to a park and after reading the manual, try setting up the tracking feature to track where you go. Most units will also let you save the track as route so that you can then reuse it at a later date. ie.your fishing trip. Good luck and take the time to learn it.