Garmin Nuvi 500 weird error

TonyCr

I thought I would post this up here, before hitting the Garmin forums, as some of you may have had this issue...

I have a new Garmin nuvi 500 and am enjoying getting started in geocaching. I've encountered an odd "issue" however with the receiver. In two seperate instances, the unit shuts itself off with particular cache files. It begins calculating the route, then just shuts off ( it appears just as its finishing..99% or so). It cycles back on and will repeat the behavior if I try to select the cache again.

It's only on a couple of cache files out of 30 or so that I've downloaded. It just shuts off and restarts itself. I'm thinking that there is an issue with an error in the file possibly? I was thinking that it may have been a corrupted download of some type, so I have re-downloaded the particular geocache files, but the issue still occurs. Has anyone ever seen this happen? I was initially worried my new GPS would need to be returned, but it appears to only be the case with certain files. However, if this issue happens with several more geocache files, I may need to reconsider.

Anyone seen this weirdness before? Thanks for any advice.

Run WebUpdater and make sure you have the latest firmware. I also had this problem until I recently loaded the update.

Thanks for the response. I thought I had the latest update, but I will certainly run webupdater again to be sure. I appreciate the help! :D

Run WebUpdater and make sure you have the latest firmware. I also had this problem until I recently loaded the update.

Thanks for the response. I thought I had the latest update, but I will certainly run webupdater again to be sure. I appreciate the help! :D

10 minutes later.... Issue resolved. I had thought I had the latest update. I did not. actually in the update notes it mentions:

Changes from version 2.30 to version 3.00:

Once upgraded to this version, software downgrade is not possible.

Allow user selectable datums.

Corrected shutdown issue associated with changing traffic provider.

Allow American English voice to be downloaded via WebUpdater.

Corrected shutdown associated with reading geocache logs.

Working fine, and no more read issues with geocache reading.

Thanks so much, as I probably wouldnt have gone back to double check :laughing:

Both the Oregon and Colorado have gone through a lot of testing and issues to get to the point where they don't crash or hang on any geocache descriptions. One would hope that the code on the 500 would be able to take advantage of this but it may be taking time to get these fixes to the Nuvi 500 team.

My suggestion is to start a thread of caches that crash the nuvi 500 and send it to Garmin.

GO$Rs