GC.com in other languages?

Sutech

Hello.

I think, my question isn't first of this type :unsure: - will be GC.com someday translated into other languages? There are many (mosty older) people, who don't understand English and so they have very big problems... :) And geocaching is international, not English game, isn't it? :anibad:

I think, many people from gc-community can help you with translation, so where's problem? :)

Thanks, Sutech.

Edited by Sutech

This is indeed an international hobby, but like in many international companies it will need common language. So I don't mind if UI will be translated to different languages as long as Finnish is one of them. ;)

So therefore I also would like to see every non-english cache description to be translated to English. So we all could enjoy caching when we are traveling abroad. If you don't understand English you could allways ask help from fellow cachers.

This is indeed an international hobby, but like in many international companies it will need common language. So I don't mind if UI will be translated to different languages as long as Finnish is one of them. :D

So therefore I also would like to see every non-english cache description to be translated to English. So we all could enjoy caching when we are traveling abroad. If you don't understand English you could allways ask help from fellow cachers.

Nejjjj... inte finska, SVENSKA, kiitos!

;)

Naomi

I think, many people from gc-community can help you with translation, so where's problem?

There are two major reasons why, say, Gmail is available in 38 languages and geocaching.com isn't:

1. The code of this site wasn't designed to be internationalised from day one. So there are text strings all over the place.

2. Google has paid employees who not only do the translations; they maintain them. When Gmail pushes out a new minor feature or bug fix, paid staff in many countries deliver the translations as part of their working day. Using volunteer translators is possible and would probably work well at the start, but maintaining a team of trusted translators is non-trivial. (How do you know that your translator for country X isn't putting "Death to America" instead of "Welcome to Geocaching"?)

Iway avehay eenbay askingway oundspeakgray orfay away igpay atinlay anslationtray orfay earsyay andway Iway illstay avehay otnay eensay away ingthay omfray emthay. Iway amway opefulhay utbay Iway amway otnay oinggay otay oldhay ymay eathbray. Iway opehay ouyay avehay oremay ucklay ithway ouryay anguagelay ofway oicechay.